11. Stolen Moments

Start from the beginning

We started slow, trying to get used to being on wheels. It wasn't that bad as I kept going around the circle, but I still had Joey's support. Dylan would speed around and make fun of me but would apologize afterward.

When he tried letting my hand go, I whined, "Please don't let me go." I almost begged, as if my life depended on it. My best friend strolled around me, making it seem easy.

"Struggling there, shithead?" Cameron asked me, circling like a pro. He was doing some weird-ass movements with his feet, and I knew I could never attempt that.

"Once I get close enough to you, I'm going to push you," I said to him, hoping he fell for talking shit. Cameron had been due for a push, smack, or kick from me. I never used to let his smart-ass comments slide in school.

When I met up with Sam again, I broke away from Joey and took her hand. She was reaching out for me, anyway. "You're doing so good. I'm jealous," I sighed, following her pace. Sam was good at almost anything. She talked down on herself, but it always came to her, unlike me.

"So are you, Rys. You'll get it," she said, telling me to let go and to try it out on my own. She had so much faith in me, and I knew I could eventually do it if I put my mind to it.

We circled the rink twice more before I let her go. She squealed, clapping for me until she almost ran into Dylan, who was skating at full speed.

I focused on what was in front of me and let the music take over my body. I was going much slower than everyone else, but I was doing it on my own. I was so proud of myself.

Joey was racing with Dylan but couldn't catch up to him. I didn't realize how good Joey was at skating, and he said he never went before. They were all impressive.

"I see you, Riley," Dylan shouted, coming up on my left side. His hair blew as he skated past me, giving me the motivation to pick up my speed. Please don't let that be a poor decision.

I started feeling the music a little more, swinging my arms as I got the hang of it. And I did not fall.

Almost an hour later, I thought I was a professional. I picked up on some small habits but gave that up quickly. I was fine with skating in a stiff, straight line until I reached the curve. Joey was sweet, checking up on me, and told me how he knew I could do it.

We were all joking around, enjoying the music as the rink got more crowded.

"Ry, remember this song?" Sam shouted from behind me. I tried keeping up with everyone and picked up my speed again. I couldn't hear it at first, but as soon as the beat dropped, I knew exactly what it was.

I glanced over my shoulder to reply to her but lost my balance and started jerking back and forth. I faced the front and panicked, but I couldn't control my feet or speed. It was like I forgot how to do everything I had spent an hour learning. Before I knew it, I collided with someone hard and went flying toward the railing. I scraped my elbow and knee during the fall, tangling with the person that saved my life.

I groaned in pain, trying to push myself off the unlucky person I landed on. As I lifted my head, my eyes connected with a very familiar set, and he looked to be in uncomfortable pain. I stared at him with my knees still on the ground, trying to get up to help him. He hit his head off the rail and rubbed at his forehead. I felt terrible, and should've been paying attention.

I looked away the second Samantha and Cameron rushed to our aide. "Joey, your nose is bleeding," his sister pointed out, helping me up first. It must've just started because it wasn't bleeding a second ago. Now, I really felt like shit.

"Fuck," he barked, touching to see if he was actually bleeding.

I held onto the rail and whined, "I'm so sorry. Let me help you."

He waved his hand away. "I got it," he snapped.

"Quit being stubborn, Joey," Sam shouted in a demanding tone. "There's blood all over your shirt." He cursed under his breath, making me feel worse. It was an accident.

I cautiously followed behind him to an opening in the railing. We made it carefully to a bench in the far back near our lockers. I let him sit down while I went to the snack bar to grab dry and wet napkins to clean him off. It was my mistake, and I wanted to help.

When I made it back to him, he tried pushing me off. "I want to help," I ordered, helplessly standing in front of him. I didn't know why he was acting like it was a big deal. What? Was he not supposed to fall? Did it look too weak?

He dropped his hands and tilted his head back. "Never tilt your head back when your nose is bleeding. Blood can go down your throat," I informed him, stepping between his opened legs. I placed my hand behind his head and pushed it upward. Repeating the same gesture, I raked my fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck and watched him look at me. He slowly blinked, roaming his pupils over my face without saying a word.

 He slowly blinked, roaming his pupils over my face without saying a word

I used the wet rag to clean up the dry blood around his nose. I got too lost in his gaze, slowing my strokes down. He had this look in his eyes that I had never seen before. It was painful, but not from the fall.

I pushed a curl away that dangled past his forehead and accidentally dropped my eyes to his lips. "Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are? I mean, all jokes aside," he asked in a low voice.

"You actually tell me all the time," I muttered, cleaning off the same spot for an excuse to touch him. I knew that wasn't good, but somehow, I couldn't stop. I loved when people called me beautiful, and not sexy, or anything meaningless.

Joey's hand wrapped around my arm to stop me from wiping. "And I mean it. How are you single?" he questioned, seriousness all over his face. I felt a twinge in the pit of my stomach and gulped loud enough for him to hear.

"Wasn't good enough," I honestly answered, still standing between his legs.

Joey laughed and shook his head. "Fucking idiot," he replied.

Before I could speak, Dylan ran over to us. "How you looking, Cinderella?" he asked, alerting me to step away from our position.

"Good. Thanks to Riley," Joey announced, the rest of the group catching up.

I couldn't do anything but look at the ground and smile. The butterflies returned, and Joey was the very last person I should feel anything toward. I was trying to push the feeling away, but it was new and unexpected.

Sam had a hard time kicking her skates off before rushing to her brother. "Are you okay? You hit the rail pretty hard," she worried, looking around his face for any scratches.

"I'm good, Sam," Joey said, standing off the bench.