Chapter 1: Living In Hell

Tobias Eaton from Divergent series as Prince Zion's father, King Andrew.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"GET THE HELL UP!" Zion painfully sat up, his black curls falling into his eyes. Instantly, Ricardo's fist collided with his gut. "WHERE WERE YOU LAST NIGHT?!" The boy shook his head, not making a sound. The man growled. His voice went dangerously low. "Answer me, boy, or may the Moon Goddess so help me." Sabrina entered with a rope and silver knife. She cackled at his pain, at the mind-numbing fear in his brown eyes. He shrank into the corner, as far as the gray walls would let him. He shook his head. Why didn't these folk understand he couldn't speak? He hadn't spoken in thirteen years!

Sabrina handed the rope to the man. "Let's get this overwith." Ricardo tied him down. Zion tried to struggle, but his body had been made weak from malnourishment, only being allowed outside for school and the rare shopping trip. They pressed the knife into his skin, burning his flesh. He screamed, but no sound came out. That was just the beginning.

Within thirty minutes, his body was riddled with burns, cuts, and even more bruises. He could feel the words carved into his skin, internally wept at the hell he endured daily. He was pretty sure he had a few broken ribs. He was supposed to start at a new school the next day. He had no idea how to get there.

When they were done, they left him tied up. He let the blackness claim him. It was his only escape on days like today. When he came to, it was dark outside. He was immediately punched in the face. "You're awake, your highness." It was Ricardo's sneering voice. That's right, he was technically royalty.

Punch after punch rained down on his aching body. The punches continued. Zion couldn't make a sound. He was pretty sure he knew what was going to happen next. He was turned over, onto his stomach and re-tied to the bed. His clothes were ripped off. The next fifteen minutes were excruciatingly painful.

His broken body screamed in silent agony. He prayed for relief, for escape. He couldn't do anything. Would he ever get out of this? Something rammed into his backside, and his eyes flew open with the shock of the foreign object and the pain that ripped through him. The entire time Ricardo pounded into him, the blade ripped open another cut on his scarred back. "I'll tell you this, man-whore. If you dare associate with a female at school, your punishment will be a million times worse." Finally, he pulled out and ripped on long cut from his right shoulder blade to his left hip. "Let that be your warning." Once again, Zion let the darkness take him away.