Warm Hearts

Xue Yang

Xue Yang was sat under a big tree, on a nice evening outside the towns of the Gusu lands, hearing the message sent by spirit butterfly to him by his partner in crime and leader. Just as he thought, something big was happening back in the floating islands, as they expected and the chosen twelve were going to be part of it. Meng Yao had already trapped in his web a stupid member of the Moling Su Clan, who has no problems in telling him all that he knew about the group and what they were doing behind Lan Xichen's back. Just a few words of flattery and the idiot was spilling the beans of everything happening within the islands.

Poor bastard, he was now just dancing in the hand of a mastermind that will make him feel like a King, then bite him in the butt if needed. It was basically the same way (although more of a special case) with Lan Xichen for a few years now, because Meng Yao had enchanted with words the older Jade the last time the north joined forces with the south to help the Unclean Realm with a sudden and unexpected 'increase of fierce corpses' in the area, that almost overwhelmed the Clans of the south.

The truth was that the increment in the fierce corpses at that particular time, was not sudden at all, but carefully planned for years under the watch of the southern Clans. They had make the arranges to lure a huge group of fierce corpses from the east to break havoc into Nie Mingjue's territory, which was the strongest among the south Clans, to make the distract the north surveillance, so they could try find the whereabouts of Yang, who was rumored to be asleep somewhere inside the islands.

However, even if Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen along with some elders went out of the islands to help out the fellow cultivators of the south with which they had a friendly relationship, the islands were not left unguarded and the protection was even stronger after their hasted departure. There was even an extra layer of protection for unorthodox ways of teleporting, which was odd, meaning that probably the old woman was preventing them once again for attaining their goal.

Meng Yao had found out about their group (hidden in the south) by chance and wanting  revenge against his biological father the current leader of the Jin Clan (who didn't want to recognize him, been the illegitimate son from an affair with a prostitute), he had joined their cause to bring down the Clans and his arrogant father along with them, becoming their natural leader. The man was not only smart and had an excellent memory, he was also the best performer he had seen in his entire life.

Xue Yang laughed just remembering of how many he had already fooled with his innocent act of a mistreated bastard son that only wanted to be accepted. Nie Mingjue had been one of those first fooled, then Lan Xichen, although he had a feeling that Meng Yao had a thing for the older Jade, which is all politeness and acceptance, despite Meng Yao's low birth. Nonetheless, he was still making Lan Xichen dance in the palm of his hands without any suspicion from coming from him. As far as he was told, only Lan Wangji was wary of him, but the young man was of not a real threat to them, as Meng Yao had Lan Xichen's full trust.

Their main problem was the old seer that was always a step ahead of them, blocking their attempt to get either Yang or Yin, with the later been way too dangerous to be approached in her full madness, so they could get their powers of control over the energies. They had already develop a way to transfer the powers, but it was yet to be proven, as both energies only responded to either Yin, Yang or that old woman who was as old as the world itself.

However, he had his eyes put on an apprentice, one of the chosen twelve called Wei Wuxian. There was something about the guy that he couldn't put his finger on it, but that it had attracted his attention. Despite been a fool by fearing street dogs, he could tell that the young cultivator was strong in a different way than Lan Wangji, for example. He had follow the bunch of fools to the Inn, then a bit out of town, but lost sight of them quite unexpectedly when inside a village forest. Nonetheless, now that they had a mole inside the chosen group, they will observe this Wei Wuxian and perhaps find out what felt so odd about him.