28. Pit of Gnomons

Start from the beginning

"Gandharvas! I have read about them while I was doing the research on Himalayan tribes that day. They are very beautiful, aren't' they?" said Anikaa.

"Gandharvas are way different than books," said Jiyu shifting uneasily.

"Are they your friends?" asked Anikaa curiously.

"Let's say we exist in different realms, neither friends, nor enemies," said Jiyu continuing his walk.

Anikaa looked at the peaks again, still glowing in golden red and then continued after Jiyu.

Raymond could hardly comprehend whatever they were talking about but the back of his mind was curiously aware of its surroundings. Of course, he hadn't done any research like Anikaa but he was always looking for big caves or footprints while walking. Maybe he can find a Yeti.

After few minutes of walk, Raymond felt something stony in the sole of his shoe. He stopped and sat on one of the big boulders. He removed the shoe from his left feet and groped for the pebble in the shoe. After brushing the pebble off, he leaned to tie the lace of the shoe and heard someone lighting a matchbox. He looked around, but there was no one there and Anikaa and Jiyu were now at a distance from him. Damn! He forgot to stop them.

He got up and mouthed- "Anikaa- Jiyu- Here!" but no sound came from his mouth.

He took a step to follow them when someone pulled the hem of his jeans. He turned and saw a man sitting on the boulder in his place, wearing a shaggy coat and woollen muffler tied around his neck. He looked pale and haggard, his eyes weary and his lips dry and white.

"You have a cigarette bruv?" the man said in a hoarse voice.

Raymond shook his head in negative.

"Weather is not good mate, just been through a blizzard, lost me bag and fellas. Lost me way too, you know which way to camp 4?" asked the man again.

At the back of Raymond's head, a small voice was asking him to turn around and leave. Don't look at him in his eyes, warned his subconscious. But, he was not able to move, his limbs were frozen to the spot as he stared at the man who was now rummaging his coat to see what he's got.

He came to his wits when someone slapped him hard and he fell on the ground.

"What were you doing Raymond?" shouted Anikaa.

Raymond opened his eyes and saw Anikaa glaring at him and Jiyu standing near her, his face tensed.

"Where is that man?" he asked, relieved to find his voice back.

"What man?" frowned Anikaa.

"He was just sitting here, talking and I was not able to move," mumbled Raymond.

"The land of Himalayas is not for the frail hearts Raymond. You will encounter many such incidents in these parts of lands and the key is to strengthen your mind and will power. Gnomons will make you mad if you can't repel the simple ghosts," said Jiyu concernedly.

Raymond flinched when the words digged in that he has just encountered a ghost. Never ever in his life, he imagined that he will experience something like this. He was more shocked to see the calmness on Anikaa's face. Aren't girls supposed to be scared of ghosts?

"And say the word if you stop anywhere," said Anikaa sharply.

"I tried Anikaa but I was not able to," said Raymond getting up and rubbing his cheeks. He was feeling a sharp tinge on his cheeks. Hell! She could slap.