5. The Ride

Anikaa wanted to show the picture to Rachel who was standing near the stairs talking on her phone. She got up from the couch and stumbled upon the little stool, dropping the camera on the sofa. She straightened and held the camera up again checking the picture, but it was gone.

"Did I mistakenly delete it? How come it's gone, I didn't even touch any of the buttons?" said Anikaa thoroughly checking the camera again.

She was baffled, when she browsed the whole memory card, checking each and every picture one by one but that particular image was gone.

"Are you looking for something?" asked Rachel concernedly when she saw Anikaa fiddling with the camera.

Anikaa straightened up at once, her shoulders relaxed. She looked straight in the eyes of Rachel masking her anxiety.

"We are going....now," said Anikaa sternly.

"What? Where?...Out in the rain?" asked Rachel shivering with apprehension.

"Yes, I need to finish this work today. Besides, it's just mizzling," said Anikaa looking at the window.

"But, you said that the rain will make the roads slippery. Shireen mam will never agree to go out in the rain," said Rachel earnestly.

"We are not taking them. In fact, if you wish to stay, you may. I will go by myself," said Anikaa wilfully.

Rachel had little time to decide. She was aware of Anikaa's unpredictable and stubborn nature and had experienced it in the past. But, this was few notches above her normal level. It had completely taken her by surprise, blowing out her mind. She knew if she didn't go Anikaa will not deter from her pursuit. And, that will be worse; she can't handle ' Joint Mehra Investigation Panel' all alone.

"I will come," said Rachel meekly.

Anikaa summoned Bahadur who appeared in less than a minute.

"Yes, mam..."

"Bahadur, I want you to get my scooty from the garage, two raincoats and two wellies size 6, please. Check the petrol and tyres," directed Anikaa.

"Yes mam," said Bahadur without even questioning at once.

Bahadur was always ready to get her whatever Anikaa demanded at any point at any hour which sometimes irked Rachel. 'Get me a dinosaur, aircraft and a dragon and Bahadur will say- Yes mam,' thought Rachel.

"You want to change Rachel? I think that's your favourite jeans," asked Anikaa.

Rachel looked down at her favourite faded blue Levi jeans which she bought from her first salary. She turned to go upstairs to change but halted in the middle, contemplating what if Anikaa will leave her back and go by herself. It was risky, Anikaa was risky.

"No, I am fine. I will roll up the hem. Don't you want to change? You might catch cold in shorts," said Rachel thinking that she will also change if Anikaa goes to her room.

"No. Shorts are good. I will not catch cold if my feet are covered. And, that's why I have asked wellies for both of us. We will be fine," said Anikaa picking her mobile phone, Swiss knife, chocolate bar and few coins. She stuffed everything in a transparent plastic wallet and went outside.

"Just take your phone with you," said Anikaa.

"And, the tab?" asked Rachel.

"What does it have?"

"All the research that we have done on the lands."

"We don't need it. It's in here," said Anikaa pointing towards her head.