3. The Midnight Guest

Dinner was deliciously spread out on the table with exquisite Parsi and North Indian dishes. Ramnik was so engrossed in eating that he hardly insisted Zorabians to eat anything. However, Shireen and Anikaa were excellent hosts and Bahadur left no stone unturned to serve finger- licking warm food to guests. Anikaa was pleased that Rachel for once, had forgotten her diet theories and was eating healthily.

"Those days are far gone when we used to have bonfire in our courtyard and everyone used to gather around it and say stories; there was no television, no phones, no internet, no whatsapp and families & neighbours used to interact with each other. At my grandmas' we used to sleep on open terrace under the moonlight and count hundreds of stars in the sky. It used to be so peaceful," said Shireen.

"And, at that time, people sent postcards, letters, and greetings for birthdays and anniversaries. I remember getting loads of greeting cards on New Years' and Diwali. Now, people just write their wishes on facebook or whatsapp, not even caring to make a call. I wonder if technology is helping us or drifting people apart from each other," added Rustom.

"Oh, yes these youngsters always have their head in their mobiles. And, if you ask them- one thing you can't live without? - They would say mobile, internet or computer. It seems they don't need family, love, friends, air, water or food for a change," said Gul sadly reminiscing about her daughter who had been working on her PhD in London for last three years.

"Well, mom we can have the bonfire right now and we can sleep on the terrace," said Prashant.

"Not today, I am tired of travelling and yesterday's party," replied Shireen to which everyone agreed.

"Yes, I am going for sleep. I have eaten heavily and want to relax my body now," said Ramnik patting his tummy. After few minutes of light talk, everyone appreciated Bahadur & the chef for excellent dinner and gave their choices for next day breakfast.

After everyone departed, Anikaa went to the library and grabbed a book. She gave a few instructions to Rachel (on her way back) and went to her room. Anikaa's bedroom was vast and spacious with modern white and oak furnishings that glistened in warm yellow lights. On one side, it was connected internally with Shireen's room and on other side there was a huge walk-in closet and colossal bathroom. Her room had a wide balcony which was accessed by floor to ceiling glass doors and was partially covered with a roof. Anikaa locked the door and ambled towards her walk- in closet to change into her sleeping wear.

Putting on her white camisole and light- blue mickey shorts, she jumped on her bed and cuddled herself with blankets. She huddled her pillows and laid on them against the bed and opened Enid blyton book. She always read books before going to sleep as it helped in curbing her insomnia. Smiling and reciting a few words to herself she read about Fatty, Bets and Buster imagining how she can relate these characters to her real life people.

"Fatty with brains- yes that will be me, Pip that could be Prashant, Goon that could be Nishant probably," chuckled Anikaa delighted at the thought. Being an avid reader, she was particularly fond of mystery books and comics. She had taken upon this habit from her parents. Her little library boasted several books from biographies, fiction, history to thriller and mystery novels. However, she preferred light stories before going to sleep.

It was 11 pm when Anikaa called Shireen on her intercom.

"Have you taken your medicines?" asked Anikaa yawning.

"Yes, now don't disturb me again; I need to sleep," said Shireen frowning and putting the receiver back.

Anikaa looked at the watch again, set her alarm for six am and switched off her lights. The room was warm and she had opened her balcony for some fresh air. It was monsoon in Munnar and the temperature stooped to fifteen degrees at night. Still drowsing, Anikaa heard an owl howling at a distance and the crisp damp air coming through the window. Anikaa shifted in the bed when she heard a dog...no maybe two dogs barking and she registered one must be Bahadur's moti- a German Shepherd and donno about other one. Several noises were coming one after another when she heard a soft knock on her door. She ignored it as her imagination. And, then the knock came again, harder this time. She woke up, switched on her lights and concentrated once more to confirm the knocking.