18. The Spooky Note

Raymond duly arrived at Shireen Villa at 3pm. As usual, Karan was with him, he climbed out of the black Range Rover (Autobiography LWB) as they entered the parking. Anikaa stepped out of the villa in an off-shoulder turquoise-blue Dior dress, her hair tied in an elegant French- braid bun. She hugged Rachel while, Bahadur carried her luggage to the car.

"I don't feel like letting you go," said Rachel anxiously in a low voice.

"Rachel, what's possessed you? Stop behaving so sappy," admonished Anikaa.

"I'm sorry...but I just don't feel right," whimpered Rachel.

"You are just scared to be alone; you'll feel alright. Bahadur doesn't bite, but I can't promise about Karan," teased Anikaa.

"You know to a stranger you two will look like sisters," said Karan coming round to Rachel, giving his classic boyish grin.

Much to Anikaa's relief, Rachel instantly smiled at his remark.

"God Karan, you made my day," said Anikaa quickly hugging him and turned around to the car before Rachel could start shedding tears.

Raymond was sitting in the car, talking on his phone but when he saw Anikaa approaching the vehicle, he swiftly got out of the car and opened the door for her.

"That's a tick in Anikaa's list," muttered Rachel under her breath.

Anikaa was impressed with Raymond's gentility. He was wearing a white shirt, with his buttons undone on the top and black trousers with his coat hanging loosely on his athletic body. "Nice crisp suit," said Anikaa in an audible whisper. Anikaa was happy to hear his sharp intake of breath as she sidled inside the car. Once in the car, she pushed the buttons to open the glass of the Range Rover and waved goodbyes to everyone.

"How's Karan going home?" asked Anikaa once they were out of the villa.

"Driver will pick him up on his way home," replied Raymond looking at her.

Avoid eye contact, snapped her subconscious and she turned to look outside window. It was the most extraordinary; a clear sky was visible today. Anikaa was constantly looking out, not risking sleeping or peeking at Raymond. There was an unusual silence in the car, both of them waiting for another to make the first move.

"I find you very difficult to comprehend," said Raymond finally breaking the silence.

"Many people do, but they don't gawk like you," said Anikaa trying to sound a bit harsh.

"I told you, I can't help it. You are very stunning, I'm drawn to you," said Raymond in a husky voice.

"And, I told you to stay away from me," said Anikaa sharply looking at Raymond.

Raymond leaned forward, his face inches away from Anikaa's.

"Make me," he whispered, his charcoal eyes intense.

Without giving him any reply, Anikaa whipped her head back to the windows. Anikaa had dealt with many male flirtations before and allayed their advances by one way or the other. She could have done the same with Raymond. But, she didn't wanted to hurt him and was also not ready to start any relationship with him. The attraction between them was overwhelming and Raymond's intense eyes, husky voice and seductive talking was adding fuel to the fire for which she was not ready.

Raymond smiled at the agitated look on Anikaa's face. He was enjoying the little ride and looking forward to their first trip. First trip? Did I just say first trip? he thought. He peeked her at again, trying not to upset her. She was still staring out, looking calm and oblivious to the world. He recalled his first meeting with her, how mistaken he had been in thinking that she had cajoled his father to make her Director in his school project. But, his assumptions were based on strong rationales. Having been born in opulence, Raymond had encountered many situations where people have tried to gain advantage of him and his family in terms of money, power and fame. However, the day when she told him about his mother's painting, the riddle and how his father thrusted the painting upon her, made him reconsider his preconceived notions.