17. The Gnomons

It was 7 pm, when Anikaa was jogging in the vast land, in the middle of the trees- that she called her garden. She was finishing her third lap, when Bahadur came running to her with the news of Sturrocks' arrival.

"Which Sturrock?" asked Anikaa with ragged breathing.

"The tall one," said Bahadur indicating with his hands, running along with her.

"Where is Rachel?"

"She is in her room, mam."

"Get him in the garden, Bahadur and arrange for refreshments," said Anikaa stopping at once.

"Yes, mam" said Bahadur and scurried towards the villa.

As told, Bahadur lead Raymond to the garden, where Anikaa was waiting for him at the outdoor table, under the gazebo. He was about to hug her, when Anikaa lifted her hands saying- "Sorry I'm drenched" and moved back.

"That means you'll smell yourself," said Raymond, his lips curving mischievously.

"What brings you here?" asked Anikaa indicating him to sit and ignoring his flirtatious attempt.

"I've gathered information about my mum's friends," said Raymond and paused when Bahadur came with drinks and refreshments.

"Mam, should I call Rachel mam?" asked Bahadur warily looking at Raymond from the corner of his eye.

"No need Bahadur, thanks. I don't want any more disturbances. And, switch on the lights," said Anikaa as evening was drawing in.

When Bahadur was out of earshot, Anikaa prompted Raymond- "You were saying..."

"As I mentioned earlier, my mother had four friends- Sameera, Lauren, Lisa and Bhagyashree. Bhagyashree knew my mother from India, she was her NGO friend. My mother married and went to US. While, Bhagyashree married some doctor in India," paused Raymond to take a swig of his drink. "Umm...this is good."

"When my mother went to America, she felt lonely and was unable to cope with my dad's status and money, you know high society, extravagant parties...lifestyle. So, my dad used to invite Bhagyashree every year for spending holidays at our house. I remember last time, she came when Karan turned 12. After that, she never came but kept in touch with my mum. Don't know what happened but she just disappeared."

"Sameera... Sameera Lawrence was Sameera Khan when she first my mother. I think I was five at that time, when we went to this soiree' and she started giving speech on Indian culture to some tight-lipped socialite. My mother instantly liked her and together they were like house on fire. They'd spend whole day talking. Out of all my mother's friends, she is my favourite- an absolutely entertaining personality. Though, she seems very western in her approach, she is an all time Indian patriot. She loves travelling and is a hard-core romantic, currently with her husband no.4. "Ummm...."paused Raymond for a sip- "And, this is important...she is coming to India after two days in an ethnic jewellery auction in Rajasthan."

"Third one, Lisa Anderson," sighed Raymond. "My dad and her husband grew up together, so we were family friends. However, they wanted me to marry Shelley, their daughter and I refused. After that, the equations changed and we were not so much together."

"Typical," thought Anikaa sipping her drink. "And the last one?"

"Lauren auntie was the best of all the hearts. She was a little older than my mum and was a great advisor. There were times, when I used to go to her for guidance and she was so open, patient & compassionate. She was the best. I still miss her," paused Raymond- "Her daughter Emily is like my sister," said Raymond.