28. Pit of Gnomons

Start from the beginning

"Jiyu, why aren't you levitating over here?" asked Anikaa.

"Because, this is our home- the most holy place on earth for us. I like to walk here." answered Jiyu smiling.

Anikaa and Raymond were wearing the same clothes of previous night, but none of them were feeling cold. Anikaa was carrying a small sling bag across her front in which she had kept the red gem.

"So, are we going to see Himalayan bears, snow leopards and Yaks?" asked Raymond.

"Not now. They rarely come in these parts. This land is forbidden to everyone."

"So why are we here?" asked Raymond perplexed.

"Because we are here to see Gnomons. You see, this land is dangerous, known only to few. Sometimes, humans come down to this part and never leave."

"The 99 of 100 you mean," interjected Raymond.

"Yes. But, animals can sense, so they never come" said Jiyu.

"How about Yetis, do they live here as well?" asked Raymond.

Both Anikaa and Jiyu stared at him.

"Raymond, Yeti doesn't exist," chuckled Anikaa.

"How can you say that?" asked Raymond frowning.

"How can you say that they exist?" Anikaa questioned back.

"The scientists have discovered the footprints and there are so many stories supporting their existence. People have shared encounters with the abominable snowman," said Raymond.

Anikaa shrugged.

"What? Don't tell me you're not scared of them," said Raymond.

"If I see one then I will decide whether I should be scared of it or not," smirked Anikaa.

"What about you Jiyu, have you seen Yeti?" asked Raymond.

"Not yet. But, there is an old Sherpa wisdom I heard of- "There is a Yeti (or fear) in the back of everyone's mind; but the blessed are not haunted by it."

"Makes sense to me," said Anikaa.

Jiyu was walking in the front, followed by Anikaa and Raymond. Anikaa was constantly looking up at the clean sky, mesmerised how many stars were up there compared to what she sees in Munnar. She unintentionally looked at the snow peaks and stopped in her tracks. Jiyu sensed her and turned back.

"Are you alright?"

"What is that?" she asked pointing to the snow peaks.

"What?" asked Raymond following her gaze.

"Why are those peaks illuminated in golden red?" asked Anikaa.

Jiyu gaped at Anikaa while Raymond squinted at that direction.

"What is there, I can't see anything in red or golden. It's just white, snow- crusted mountains with moonlight bouncing off them," said Raymond concentrating hard.

"It is there right? Can you see it? What is it?" she asked Jiyu.

"How can you see it?" gasped Jiyu.

"What are you two talking about?" snapped Raymond not happy to be left out of conversation.

"Anikaa it's the kingdom of Gandharvas," said Jiyu hesitatingly.

"Gandharvas, where?" said Raymond squinting his eyes in all directions. "Am I snow blind already?" he grumbled.

"Humans cannot see their kingdom from their mere eyesight. In fact, there are tribes who can never spot them," said Jiyu to which Raymond relaxed. "But...," he looked apprehensively at Anikaa.