22. The Second Strike of Gnomons

Start from the beginning

"Anikaa, how did you know? Did you see anyone?" asked Raymond looking around.

"No. I...just felt it," said Anikaa running her hand through her hair.

"Only a strong hurricane or cyclone can uproot a heavy tree like this," said Raymond and stared blankly at Anikaa as if scared from his own words.

"Let's go," he said holding her hand.

Raymond opened the car's door for Anikaa and found a khukri stabbed on Anikaa's seat with a note attached to it.

"What the fuck?" frowned Raymond pulling the khukri out of the seat and unfolding the note attached.

Anikaa snatched the note from his hand that read-

THERE WON'T BE NEXT TIME

And as they read the note, the words turned into black smoke and vanished in the air.

"Did you just see that?" said Raymond, startled.

"Let's leave," said Anikaa ignoring Raymond's question.

"Let me check the car." Raymond checked the backseat and the rear of the car to make sure there was no one hiding.

They reached the villa by 8pm and Raymond was already on phone, arranging a helicopter to take them straight from Rishikesh. Anikaa stopped on the door as she entered the villa, the sight inside leaving her breathless. Her living room was a mess, everything scattered, some of her artefacts were broken and Harish was single handedly cleaning and putting everything in place.

"Harish what happened?" she asked.

"I don't know mam. I came at 7pm for making dinner and found the house like this. I just cleaned the kitchen and now I'm doing the living room," he said sobbing.

"Why are you crying? Are you hurt?"

"No mam, I thought you'll think that I did this."

"Harish, I trust you," she said and rushed to her room.

Her room was in disarray just like the living room as if a huge storm had just passed through it. Her closet was rummaged with her clothes tossed in different directions, her handbags, satchels and clutch were emptied on the bed and the pockets of her jeans were drawn inside out.

"The helicopter will be here in two hours," said Raymond in a clipped tone as he surveyed her room.

Anikaa could sense the controlled fury in his voice because she was feeling the same wrath capped in her. Had it been a normal human being, she'd have sorted him ages ago, but how is she supposed to deal with supernatural powers. Coming to think of it, where is Jiyu, she wondered. She walked through her veranda door to the garden, but Jiyu was not there.

"Don't tell me the saviour needs protection now," smirked Anikaa.

"It seems Jiyu is not fulfilling his duty diligently," said Raymond coming next to her in the garden.

"Sometimes I don't show up on the scene, but that means I'm working in the background" drawled Jiyu in a deep voice making both of them jump.

"Where were you, huh?" asked Raymond irately.

"I was on my duty- protecting her. What do you suggest saved you from the falling tree?"

"Really, we didn't see you holding the tree for us to pass. Did you see him Anikaa?" asked Raymond scornfully.

"People who depend on the judgement of their mere eyesight fail to comprehend deeper meanings," said Jiyu.

"Oh ya...I don't want deeper meanings. I say what I see," sneered Raymond in frustration.

"Anikaa, I have promised to protect you. But, I believe the protection of your loved ones matter to you as well."

At once, Anikaa became stiff hearing the words, she blinked blankly.

"What does that mean? Have they attacked...?" asked Anikaa.

"Not yet. After ensuring your protection, I went to Munnar to seal your house with Amastan."

"Amastan?" said both Raymond and Anikaa together.

"It's our science of imparting protection to a large place or a region."

Raymond glanced at Anikaa incredulously and Anikaa shrugged her shoulders.

"Does that mean, they won't come near my house now?"

"Not if they wish to continue their cursed existence," assured Jiyu.

Anikaa and Raymond left the villa as soon as Raymond got the confirmation for the flight. They travelled rest of the journey in silence as both Raymond and Anikaa were too tired and baffled to talk. The helicopter was waiting for them at the arranged place and they took off to their journey back to home.

**************************************************