21. Meeting Bhagyashree

Start from the beginning

"I was engaged in something unavoidable and I'm not sure if I can endure such a long journey now," said Bhagyashree patting her knees.

"But what brings you here?" she asked lowering her glasses again to clean it.

"We are here to talk about mum," answered Raymond.

"Shalini...," she paused putting on her glasses again.

"How did you two meet?" asked Anikaa. Better to know the story from the start.

She took a moment and then started- "I met Shalini when I was 14 and she was 13. We were rescued by an orphanage in Bengal. Two lonely souls found family in each other. We were educated till twelfth grade as part of the orphanage programme and when we turned 18, we decided to volunteer with an NGO which was working with tribals as part of government project. Good food, accommodation and the opportunity to travel across India drove us. Those days...," she said with a pleasant smile.

"During our journey we discovered our passions- mine in music and hers in painting. We learned these subjects travelling in different places. Shalini started learning tribal painting of different regions which made her work unique," she paused smiling at the memory.

"Our last project together was in Sunderbans. I still remember the untouched, unexplored and mystifying beauty of the forests- dangerous as well as alluring. At that time, the forest was ruled by a very mysterious and reserved tribe- Imkaas."

Anikaa and Raymond stared at each other when Shalini said the name of the tribe. Imkaas or Himkhasa?

"Imkaas were not friendly to strangers and liked to live in seclusion. And, we were very shocked when they accepted our proposal to educate them about the modern Indian society. We soon mingled with the tribe and became friends."

"Then, one day Richard came with his friends wandering about in the forests so deep. He saw your mother and fell in love with her. I was the witness of an Indian Cinderella; her prince charming finally came. I was very happy for Shalini; everything was perfect until that fateful night."

"I was sleeping in my tent and I heard screams coming from outside. I went outside to check, all I could see was flames and dark smoke; people screaming and running here and there. Shalini was out with Richard that night so I ran to the other side of the forest, deep in the jungle to save myself. All I could hear was more screams and shrills. Oh! It was horrible," said Bhagyashree shaking her head. She got up from the couch and walked to the small pooja unit in her living room, lighting the diya.

"Next day, I was found by my team, unconscious lying behind the shrubs, by the lake. They carried me to the tents and when I woke up in the evening Shalini was crying profusely. She told me that the tribe was slaughtered in the midnight and we left the very day. It was...," she didn't finish.

"In few days, she married Richard and I married Sudanshu who was part of my group," she finished.

"But how did you end up here? Last time, I remember you were in Bo...Bokaro right?" asked Raymond.

"That takes us to another story," said Bhagyashree turning her back to them.

"Shalini left for America with Richard but she used to call me every year for holidays. But life is not perfect. My husband, Sudanshu wanted me to ask Shalini to help us settle in America. When, I refused he resorted to abuses and violence."

Raymond noticed, Anikaa clenching her wrist at the mention of domestic violence.

"For years, I endured his mistreatment for my kids and in hope that one day he will realise the value of self-respect. But, I was wrong," she turned around, her eyes evincing the pain.