Chapter Twenty - Not So Innocent Torment

Start from the beginning

I pointed to the gate and turned to face it. "He was trying to tie me up and scare me with matches, I couldn't take it anymore so I hit him and ran to find help. I didn't run fast enough. He caught me and pushed me against the gate, he was choking me and threatening to let the matches touch my skin next time. Blake saw him and tackled him to the ground, he hit him a few times and then he told everyone. Beth and Richi wanted either him gone or for me to stay with them but things aren't always that simple. It did become harder for Dallas to have access to me because most of the time someone was watching and Blake made several friendly warnings when he visited."

I cringed once more at the memory of Dallas' wicked laugh. "But there are a lot of kids to care for at an orphanage so nobody could be watching all the time. He only made the torture worse, almost as though he were curbing his craving to hurt me whenever he got the chance."

My face scrunched in disgust and this time no tears fell from my eyes because I pitied Dallas, I wasn't scared of him anymore because he was lonely. He didn't have anybody that loved him. He was sick and nobody cared enough to help him! I didn't know where he was now but I did know one thing, he was alone! "Fuck!" I snapped out of my thoughts to see Aaron slam his palm against the bars on the gate!

"Oh my god! What the hell...why did you do that?" I took his hand in mine and rubbed gently.

"I hate him for hurting you. I hate myself for hurting you! I hate everyone who has ever hurt you-" I placed a hand over his mouth.

"I don't. In a way they both shaped who I am today and as for you, I gave you permission Aaron, I knew what I was in for but I kept coming back for more. I didn't ask for Dallas' torture or my uncle to abandon me. And just like that falling for you, was out of both our hands." I looked down at his hand and back into his eyes. "How many times do I have to ask you to stop hurting yourself?"

"I deserve-"

"You deserve everything Aaron. Why can't you see that? I know you have a painful history too, something that makes you think you can't be loved for anything other than your money and power. Something that makes you think your imperfect! Something you're afraid of. I wish you could see yourself how I see you, you are perfect, and to me you're the only person who is perfect!" He moved his hand away and took a step back. Right, why would he share his pain with you! You don't mean enough to him to let you in! I held back the tears and made my way out of the orphanage, I cast one last look back at it to take in the memories, good and bad.

That's when I saw it! It was a flash of an image and blurry but I recognised both of the people! I recognised the day! Dallas' lip was bleeding from Blake's punch. I was watching him from inside the orphanage because I knew he'd make me pay for this and I had thought he was talking to someone but now I remember more clearly. It was the hooded guy, he would hang around the orphanage often but he would never come in or speak to anyone. He was hurting Dallas, he had him pinned to the gate like Dallas had pinned me, he was choking him! When Dallas fell to the floor he scrambled back in fear!

"Charlie"

"He...he wasn't trying to kill me that night! What does he want form me?"

"Who?"

"The hooded guy. I remember him, form the fire and he would hang around the orphanage just watching, I saw him at school to. He never spoke to anyone, he never spoke to me but that day! He hurt Dallas, he threatened him, why would he do that?" He laced our fingers together and guided me towards the taxi. Why were there so many missing pieces? What was I missing? We sat in silence for a few minutes and I could tell that Aaron wanted to say something because he opened his mouth a few times but closed it straight away."Aaron what is it? Just say it already!"