14. Meeting Jiyu Again

Start from the beginning

Anikaa reached at the bottom of the slope, near the flowers. There was something strange about these flowers that she could not perceive. However, the thought evaded her mind when the sweet fragrance of roses filled her nostrils. She took a deep breath to inhale the sweet scent. She felt as if the aroma was palpable, she could feel it touching her skin and invoking her senses. She leaned forward to pluck one of the pink roses when she heard the deep voice she was waiting for-

"Be Careful! Roses bear prickles."

Anikaa was quick to reply.

"At least their prickles are not concealed," said Anikaa, drawing her hand back. She turned around and saw Jiyu smiling with crossed hands and holding his bead necklace.

"Very perspicacious, I see life has taught you well," said Jiyu looking in her eyes.

For a moment, Anikaa tensed as if Jiyu knew every aspect of her life and she looked away.

"I don't think my roses brought you here," said Jiyu closely regarding Anikaa.

"No. They didn't," said Anikaa.

Without waiting anymore, Anikaa narrated the last evening's story of how the turpentine fell on the painting and how she discovered the riddle. Jiyu listened to the whole story in rapt attention. His eyes narrowed when he listened to the riddle which Anikaa had noted on a paper.

"Can you make anything out of this?" asked Anikaa seeing Jiyu's pale face.

"Shalini used Himkhasa's special technique of conveying the riddle," said Jiyu in a low voice disbelievingly.

"What technique?"

"It's known as Duanphen lipi."

"Excuse me." Anikaa concentrated to hear the word correctly.

"Doo-an-phen lee-pee."

Anikaa repeated the word to get the pronunciation right.

"Yes. Like I told you, we never write our teachings, but....," Jiyu cleared his throat, hesitating. Er...we use this technique to send secure messages."

"To whom?"

"To others...," Jiyu coughed, his face turned pallid.

Anikaa raised her eyebrows, clear to convey that she needs the answer.

"Other tribes," said Jiyu in a low voice, his wrist tightening the bead necklace.

Anikaa noticed the change in his demeanour and was more curious to delve further.

"There are other tribes?" she asked.

"No more please. It's a secret, I can't divulge anymore," said Jiyu dismally.

"So, what does this technique involve?"

"We prepare a special concoction, with which we can write on parchments and Tada-patra that can only be read in full moon light," said Jiyu carefully choosing his words.

"Tada- Patra?"

"Palm-leaf," said Jiyu.

"You mean that Shalini was aware of this technique," asked Anikaa stupefied.

"Yes. I wonder how?" said Jiyu solemnly.

"She must have found something about gems that worried or scared her," suggested Anikaa.

"Why do you say that?"

"Don't you see? First of all she wrote the message on the canvas- where nobody would bother to find it. Secondly, she used Dooanphen lipi to write the message and that too in the form of a riddle. Thirdly, she covered the painting with layers of acrylic paint. I mean why would someone go to this length?"