Part 2

A pin could be dropped and the silence in the court unbending. Yet they all knew a dagger had just been drawn and flung towards them. Daring, any to question it. But no one did. Even though there were a plethora of concerns swarming in all their minds. Even though on his return to appearing in the court, Eon announces the death of his wife.

"Continuing, the capital calls for a cease-fire by the Midland rebellion so that all troops may return for the royal funeral procession of the Queen. If the rebellion respects the authority of the throne, and not the one who holds it as they claim. Then they shall respect a needed period of peace for this time of mourning."

As Sir June finished, it was clear his hands trembling. Eon looked over the court, making contact with shocked eyes. Many of who avoided his gaze. Perhaps some of them could see, he thought, see that he was completely hollow inside.

Rising he watched everyone bow as he stepped off the throne. His crown sparkled as he walked past, his council following behind him quietly.

The streets were crowded, shouts and screeches everywhere. Kai held onto Taehyung's hand as they tried getting past the growing hoard. Every other person they bumped into had tears in their eyes. Banner's with the queen's name was floating all over and he saw some of their followers had created red alters on corners.

Finding a clear ally, he pushed them into it. The hoards stampeded past surprising him. Did this city love their Queen that much? Or was it the delusions of loyalty? Heaving breaths took him away from answering. Taehyungs eyes were wide as he struggled.

Heart running into disarray at the sight, Kai pulled him in and bent his head down to his chest.

"Ssshh Tae, don't worry you're safe," he focused on calming his own breaths and ran a soothing hand up Taehyung's back.

"I'm right here," he kissed the top of his head affectionately, "Concentrate on my heartbeat only. Yes, just like that," he felt Taehyung calming. A part of him wanted them to stay like this, Taehyung's arms around him, gripping needlingly. In this dark ally, Kai allowed himself a moment of slippage.

He kissed the top of Taehyung's head, then another and another. Before tilting his head upwards and placing one on his lips. And Taehyung pulled him in, accepting every breath Kai shared with him. He felt his back pushed against the wall as their kiss deepened. It was slow but a cry cut it short.

Breaking away, Kai stepped back, jarred. It felt incredible but also...

There's nothing wrong with giving in, said his meta.

No, I can't. I'm a priest, I must maintain propriety, thought Kai.

Look at him, spewed his meta, he longs for you, just as you long for him.

Kai gripped his hair, I made vows.

You've broken them before have you not? They do not hold any will over you.

But Kai shook his head, still feeling his sense of duty. He looked over to Taehyung who was staring at him, lips thick. Ever since his meta had led him to him, he's felt so much want for the man in front of him. For a different life. It had not happened since...

No, he thought. He had a destiny to fulfill and to him, the need for that overcame all else.

"I'm sorry," his voice was tame, "I did not mean to."

Despite what Jimin had thought, the two had never embraced. Irrespective of how quickly their desire for each other had been brewing. This moment was their first. And Kai was desperately convincing himself it would be their last.