Chapter 588

Origin of the Bai Family

In her previous life, Feng Yu Heng knew of an illness that was extremely complicated named "progeria." This sort of disease had its origin in a mutation of the LMNA gene. Under normal circumstances, the gene could produce nuclear lamins, but once the gene was in short supply in the body, the body would begin to age prematurely.

Aging prematurely was very frightening. This sort of aging was not just reflected in terms of appearance. It also affected the internal organs and skeletal structure, and it weakened the heart. With the weakening of the heart, the skeletal structure and joints along with bone density would all weaken. The bones would also change, becoming similar to those of an elderly person. With just a single fall, fractures could occur very easily.

There was already no way of determining the origin of this disease. It was possible in the modern world, but there was no hope in the ancient world. But if Bai Fu Rong had suffered this illness naturally, she would only feel that it was a bit of a pity, and she would not feel so sorrowful and confused; however, a perfectly healthy person had been given some sort of drug that caused these symptoms to suddenly appear. From there, the symptoms of progeria appeared.

Feng Yu Heng was truly amazed by the amount of research put into medicine by the people of the ancient world. She was also astonished over which side Bai Fu Rong belonged to and why she would end up in this situation.

But it was very clear that now was not the time to discuss this. She made a prompt decision to have Bai Ze carry her over to the bed before pulling out a needle and an infusion kit. First, she gave Bai Fu Rong the most basic medicine to maintain Bai Fu Rong's condition. Only then did she find some time to listen to what Xuan Tian Ming and Bai Ze speak about what Bai Fu Rong had done along the way.

Bai Ze was rather emotional. Xuan Tian Ming had a bit of an understanding of this, but Feng Yu Heng was quite shocked. It could be seen that people are not emotionless. Even if it was a retainer like Bai Ze or a hidden guard like Ban Zou, being expressionless simply meant that they had not met anyone that was capable of arousing any emotions.

Bai Ze said: "This subordinate has followed her for many months and personally heard her lie to the enemy, saying that princess was still in the capital, causing the enemy to go back. Later on, the enemy tried to coerce her a few more times, but she always told them that she did not know where the imperial daughter had gone. Based on our understanding, there is someone in the capital with control of craftsman Bai. Because of this, the Bai family's young miss was threatened. She had no choice but to make use of the third young miss' injured leg to enter the military camp; however, she indeed never did anything that would let down princess or Da Shun."

When Bai Ze spoke, he was feeling a little guilty, looking at Xuan Tian Ming from time to time. In regards to his actions toward Bai Fu Rong, he did not know what sort of definition could be applied. To them, Bai Fu Rong was a spy sent by the enemy to observe the military. But in reality, Bai Fu Rong did not do anything that a spy should do. Instead, she helped them hide Feng Yu Heng's actions.

Bai Ze did not know when he started having these unusual feelings toward that girl. Either way, his master told him to pay more attention to her, thus he paid more attention to her, but as he paid attention, something happened. Once that girl's candid and curious personality made its way into his heart, it was very difficult to get it out again. But as Xuan Tian Ming's retainer, should he have these sorts of feelings?

Xuan Tian Ming stared at Bai Ze but did not say anything. After all, he had also seen everything that Bai Fu Rong had done along the way. She was guilty, but this guilt was not punishable. Bai Ze had been at his side since he was young. As for the brat's feelings, long before he himself had even noticed, Xuan Tian Ming was already clear.