"I understand." Where was he getting at. 

"Good, then you'll be working on it." What? 

"Me?" I was gaping in shock . "As much as I appreciate your confidence in my work, Mr Romano, I have to say, I'm very new here and not fully informed on this matter, so please reconsider appointing me." 

I was flabbergasted; this contract seemed to be a very big deal. First of all, I wasn't confident I would succeed, and second of all, working on this contract meant I'd be working closer to him. No, thank you.

"I already made my decision, you don't have a say in this Miss Alverez."

"But you called it a proposal, which theoretically means I can decline, right?" I tried negotiating. 

"Please don't bring vocabulary into this, Isabelle, I'm your boss, don't forget that." he said. He called me by my name. Was he trying to intimidate me on purpose?

"How can you trust me with this though? Where's the guarantee I'll even succeed?"

"There is none, but I'll give you plenty motivation, you'll do your very best, right?"

"Right" was all I could say, with great hesitancy though.

"If in 2 weeks my partners won't accept the deal, I'm afraid I'll have to fire you." he stated in a dangerously calm tone. How could he say those things like it was nothing. He almost sounded like a sociopath. "I'm guessing that's enough motivation to start with." he added and sat down again. 

"Of course" I whispered as I gritted my teeth.

"Now that we got that out of the way, let's discuss some details. You'll be working on this floor, the office next to mine is vacant and will be yours starting from tomorrow. You'll have control over this department whenever I'm gone, which won't be a lot, so don't worry about that. You can also use my secretary when needed and contact me directly for urgent matters through the intercom." 

I nodded. I just got settled downstairs and loved working with Mike and the others, not even a week goes by and I have to readjust again? Seriously why can't I just live a normal, invisible life.

"Come, I'll show you your office." he said as he lead me to the office right next door. I would be this close to his office everyday? I looked around and immediately fell in love with the view from the window. All this was my space now. Well, sadly not for more than 2 weeks, especially if I messed up this deal.

Strangely enough, I noticed Damian looking at me, was he waiting for me to say something? We kept each other's eye contact for a very long time, until I spoke to break this awkward moment. 

"Do I move my stuff in right now or...?" I asked.

"No, not today. You can do that tomorrow morning. Today we are going to visit a partner of mine who will help us with the first and vital part of the contract. Do take your stuff with you, chances are we won't be returning to the company today. Be at the entrance in 5 minutes." he said and quickly left.

I got my bag and jacket and waited for the elevator to arrive. 

When I finally got downstairs I saw Damian standing outside with his secretary. He was checking his watch impatiently. 

"I said 5 minutes Alverez." he sounded angry. 

"I'm sorry." I said, not even bothering to explain how crowded all the elevators were.

"Just get in already." His secretary had this disgusted look on her face, and I felt like I was failing at making friends all over again. Whatever, I just smiled at her, dismissing the uncalled for behavior.