Vienna Blues

So. This is very long. But I love it, it's depressing but not at the same time, so enjoy!
—————————————————————————
2011
I awoke to the ringing of my mobile phone. Before I answered it, I looked at the time, 4:00am.

Only one person would ring me a such an hour. I think.
I pick up my phone and and check the caller ID.

Unknown.

Huh, weird, George usually rings from his mobile. Maybe it's dead?
So I go ahead and answer it. "George, what the hell are you doing? It's four am-"

"Hello? Are you Y/N L/N?" An unfamiliar woman asked.

"Yes..? Sorry, but who are you?"  Confusion etching itself into my face.

"I'm Doctor Williams. I'm calling from Vienna, your down as a emergency contact for a Georgios Panayiotou."

At that moment my heart stopped. And my breathing quickened. "Doctor? What? What's happened?" I sit up quickly and throw the sheets off my body, the cold seeping into my bones.

The Doctor was silent, then finally said. "Mr Panayiotou has been admitted with severe pneumonia, he's in intensive care."

"What? I spoke to him a couple of days ago, he was fine... I- is he okay? Will he be okay?" I say rushed.

"We hope so, I can't really say at the moment- I cant tell you much more unless your here in person. Can you get here?"

Without hesitation I reply. "Yes. I can. Give me the name of the hospital."

The doctor gave me the name and I got dressed and booked the next flight out to Vienna.

George had been on tour for the last few months, and rang me whenever he could. We had been best friends since childhood, I had caught feelings for the Greek in the late 70's but never said a word. Now I may never see him again, and that scared me.

The entire flight went by in the blink of an eye, mostly because I zoned out thinking of every bad thing which could happen to George. I would think positive, but what's positive about this situation?

I landed in Vienna, and hailed the nearest taxi and the brink of a breakdown. It was a beautiful country, but sightseeing wasn't the top of my priority list. I have the driver my destination and waited front the drive to end.

Unfortunately, the taxi ride didn't go as quick as the plane journey, mainly because now I'm here it's all hit home a little more. I don't think I could handle seeing George in hospital, hooked up on machines and drugs.

The torture was ended soon, i was that determined to get find out what was exactly wrong with my best friend that I shoved the money into the drivers hand, but even thanking him. But again, at this moment I couldn't give a shit.

I leap out and sprint into the hospital. I get to the reception desk, and the receptionist immediately saw my distress and asked me "Madam? What's the matter?"

I look at the man with wide eyes. "M-my friend has been brought in, erm- Georgios- Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou."

The man gets on the computer and types something in. "Ahh, he was admitted with pneumonia, is that correct?"

I nodded. "Yes. That's him. Where is he?"

"Still in Intensive care. He's about to go in for a tracheotomy. I can get a doctor to take you to him."

"Please."

Just at that moment, a doctor walks past and the man calls out. "Doctor Williams! There's a woman here for Mr Panayiotou."