Grief

1993
I was just sitting minding my own business when the doorbell rings frantically. So I place down the book I was rather enjoying and answered the door.

I pull it open and there standing, heartbroken. Is George Michael.

George and I had met along time ago, we were family friends and basically grew up together, we'd seen thick and thin, he was my best friend. Over the years I had caught feelings for the man, but they couldn't be pursued, because I was the first person he told he was gay.

"George? What happened?" I ask half shocked and half concerned at the current state of the man. George tried to reply but no words came out, he looked into my eyes and I immediately knew what had happened.

"Is- Is he dead?" I stuttered.

George nodded slightly then broke down. "Oh, honey. Come here."

George's partner of about 2 years had died of AIDS, I knew how much Anselmo meant to George, Anselmo was George's first proper relationship with the same sex, and they loved each other very much. There was a scare after they found out Anselmo had AIDS, George may have had it too, but thank the lord he was clean, but then i had to watch as your best friends love died infront of me. It hurt me too, he was a good person, and a good friend. It was made worse that I was one of only a few people who even knew about George's relationship with Anselmo. His family didn't even know for sure he was gay.

I pull him into a tight hug.
"I wasn't there.."

I gently begin to run my hand through his hair. "What?" I ask gently.

"I-I wasn't there, he died and I wasn't there. I loved him Y/N. He didn't deserve this..."

"Shhh, I know. I know. It'll be okay." I tried my best to console him. But easier said than done, especially in this situation.

"Go upstairs, okay? Go. Your going to stay here for as long as you need. I'll make a cup of tea." I run my hand through his hair, and give him a half smile. The man managed to return one, then turned away and shuffled upstairs.

I made my way into the kitchen and made 2 cups of tea, I found some cake too, some chocolate cake it was George's favourite.

I gently made my way into my room, and George is nestled in sheets and blankets, as soon as I enter his head snaps towards me, and once again he forces a small smile.

I set down the tea and cake on my bedside table, and then hand George his tea and cake. "Thank you" his hoarse voice sounded to me. Even after all this, he still has his manners.

George then realised that I hadn't had any cake, George having the good heart he did points this out. He sniffles slightly but then says  "You didn't have any? Why?"

I laugh. "Now really isn't the time to ask me that."

"I need to distract myself. Tell me." George basically pleaded.

"I wasn't going to open it, but you deserve it. I don't know what I was saving it for, If I'm being honest. But this seems as good a time as any." I voice truthfully.

George's eyes widen a bit. And he puts it down on his lap. "Oh.. no. I couldn't eat it then."

I raise my eyebrows. "What? George... don't be ridiculous!"

"I don't want to eat something which was yours."

"It's yours now, I gave it to you. Now eat." I smiled to him.

George stares at me for a second, but then reluctantly picks up the plate and begins in to eat. I lie next to him, and wait for him to finish.

"Thank you." George suddenly says.

I turn to him. "For what?"

He laughs slightly. "You really have to ask me that? Your always there, no matter what time, no matter where I am, or where you are, you always are there when I need you. You accepted who I am when I struggled too, your here for me now, I could have been dying too, and you wouldn't have walked away. I can't get through this without you." By now, George was on his side leaning in towards me, staring straight at me.

"I'll never walk away, I'll always be here." I say now leaning in too. My eyes flicker to his lips. Then back to his eyes.

George's lips twitch upwards. "You know, I've been thinking."

I raise an eyebrow softly. "About?"

"Me..." George replies hesitantly.

I giggle slightly "A bit vain Georgios."

"Not like that! I mean, you know how it took me a while to admit to myself I was gay?"

I nodded, not understanding his point.
"Well, it may have been because of you."

My eyes widen. Me? Really? What? "I-I'm sorry...?"

George looked down and began to rub his hands together. "I was confused, and I still am. I know I'm not straight, Im not attracted to women... except one. But, this woman is the only woman I've ever truly fallen in love with, but is that enough to be considered bisexual? I don't know what to do."

"Woman? Who's the woman?" I say knowing the answer already.

"As I said.... you."

Confusion and happiness consumed me. But a question then overtook my thoughts. "What about Anselmo? Your grieving, your not thinking straight."

George firmly shook his head. "He knew. He knew I loved you, he said it was obvious. As soon as I first mentioned you he said he knew, the way I spoke about you, the way whenever we were together I looked at you. Anselmo knew I loved him, and I know I did. But he also knew I loved you, when I spoke to him a few days ago, he told me that once he died that I need to tell you, before you find someone, to be honest if he wouldn't have told me I wouldn't have the guts to do this...."

I stare at him in disbelief. "I- George. Tell me. Tell me this isn't a joke, tell me this is real."

George closes the gap between us. "It's real."

Our lips meet, it was everything and more. All of the feeling we'd bottled up over the years were released in the kiss.

Once we finally break apart, we smile awkwardly and laugh.

"So.. I guess, you feel the same? Unless snogging means 'no' nowadays." George smirked cheekily.

"Shut it you. And Yes, I do."

This time I pull him into a kiss. It was definitely worth the wait.