Chapter 15

Meetings were pretty frequent in the following days. Everyone was practicing with their powers, preparing battle formations. I was on pins and needles. Lili had tried to talk to me a few times, but I couldn't look her in the eyes.

Out of everyone here, she knew me the best. She'd probably guessed I was hiding something, but I wouldn't be able to handle it if she found out and judged me for it. Usually, she'd be the first person I'd tell, because she normally understood my motives, but when I did what I'd done with Kyler she made her disapproval known. I didn't know what she'd say about Timothy. Maybe she would understand and agree, but then again, maybe she wouldn't. I couldn't chance it. There was only so much pressure I could take right now.

I stood off on my own during the meetings as they chattered away about strategic plans. Jason wanted me with him again for when he went up against Leona. Daisy Lynn, Ayana, Dziko, Sakima and Ken would be taking on Giovanna. Everyone else would fight whoever else Giovanna had in her army.

Tonight, Scott, Alex, Lei and I were going to drive to L.A. Scott had returned with loads of the fertilizer I'd asked him to get. He'd actually found a semi truck to fill along the way. It meant he had to get some help getting the Jeep back, but that was okay. A big rig full of fertilizer should be plenty. He seemed confused by it, but it was a natural reaction. Lei was more than happy to help and Alex, who sensed trouble brewing, showed skeptical excitement..

"Your clones find anything yet?" I asked him as we piled into the semi. It was only a five hour drive so fortunately we didn't have to deal with being cramped in there with the fertilizer for too long. It smelled like ammonia so we kept the windows rolled down.

"Nope. You're asking me to search the entire contitental US for a person who I've never even laid eyes on before."

"C'mon Alex where that usual enthusiasm you have for breaking the rules?" Scott asked playfully.

"Oh don't get me wrong, I'm excited. I don't mind dirty work, but I don't like being in the dark either," he said.

"You gonna tell us what you have planned?" Alex continued.

"Something impetuous," I assured him.

***

Later when we got to L.A. I let everyone rest. Timothy hadn't given me an exact date as far as Giovanna's plans, but given that things were quiet I knew we weren't too late. We just needed to track down their exact location without getting caught. Since I was the only one here immune to telepathy, that job was up to me.

The semi was parked on the highway. With the humans gone and the Unknown population decimated, there weren't many cars driving on the road and it wasn't an odd sight to see vehicles parked on the shoulders.

I decided to take a walk to try to come to terms with what I was about to do. It was dark out and I could barely see. Street lamps stood there looming in the night without giving any luminescence to aid in sight. It was a bit unnerving. I expected the silence and pitch black sky in our camp. I wasn't used to it in a big city. Especially one like Los Angeles.

I wandered aimlessly for a little while until I happened upon a convenience store. The door was broken and the inside had clearly been raided. Gingerly, I stepped over the broken glass to get inside. There wasn't much left. The shelves were barren and the refrigerators leaked water all over. Something smelled like it had died or spoiled. I walked over to the cash register. Empty. Not like money was really going to help at this point anyway.

There was a pile of lighters next to the register. I grabbed a few and tucked them into my waistband, but kept one in my hand. I flipped it a few times and flickered it on and off.