Chapter 6

"What do you know about Giovanna?" I asked, feeling my emotions get the better of me.

To be honest, I was afraid of Giovanna. Afraid of what she could do and yet, here I was looking for any information I could find about her because she had my brother. I wasn't a brave or courageous person. But I loved my brother and feared for his safety more than I feared her. If not for him, I didn't know if I could bring myself to seek her out like this.

Lili walked up to the man who had spat at us before. Her hand moved slowly and deliberately as she delicately placed her palm on his face. Then I heard the crackling and snapping as she sent jolts violently through his entire body. The man would have rocked back, except Daisy Lynn still had a firm hold on him, so the only thing he thing he was able to do was roll his eyes back in pain.

I looked at the other four. They seemed a little more nervous now.

"Tell us what you know and we'll leave you alone," I said.

"Tell them nothing!" the defiant one said, still gasping for his breath. Lili sent another shockwave through him. This time he collapsed to his knees. Actually, all of them took a step back.

We both turned to Daisy Lynn.

"I can't stand here and allow you two to torture them while they're helpless," she said, looking troubled.

"Giovanna has my brother," I snapped feeling impatient.

"Does Giovanna seem like the type of person to really leave loose ends like this on accident?" Daisy Lynn asked, looking between the two of us.

I noticed the humans fidgeting where they stood. If they were smart they'd try to make a run for it while we were debating amongst ourselves. They should have been able to put together that Daisy Lynn was the one that could really hold them captive and she was hesitant about doing so. That meant that at least one or two of them should be able to escape statistically. Unfortunately, humans aren't always equipped with the best survival instincts.

Lili was nodding her head, like she understood.

"If she left them behind on purpose then it's guaranteed that know something," I said, turning to the humans. "They're going to tell us what they know."

Lili put her arm in front of me, stopping me in my tracks.

"I know you are anxious about your brother's safety, but we need to be smart about this. She is right - Giovanna likely left these humans behind because she knew we'd come looking for her. We need to be careful," she said softly.

"We know that Giovanna can control magical energy. Who's to say that she isn't watching us right now through their eyes. Calculating our next move. This has to be a trap," Daisy Lynn said, nodding in agreement.

Her words sent me spiral backwards. Something Timothy had said earlier. Or tried to say. What was it? What had he been trying to say?

Broken words it had been. "She's trying to -" All broken sentences I had gotten.

My head throbbed.

"Have to kill her before --"

Before what? I didn't know. Did knowing really matter or make a difference?

Have to kill her.

Her.

How? How do you kill the person who was stronger than the most powerful being alive?

A sharp pain in my head. I clutched my temple, feeling disoriented. Images in my mind were flashing. One second I saw my Giovanna and Leona, their faces leaning in close toward mine. The next I was looking at Daisy Lynn and Lili. Back and Forth. Back. Forth. It made me dizzy. Why? Why had all of this happened?