First Woman

"See you later papi, I'll be back before eleven." I yelled as I ran towards the door.

"Hold up young lady! Where do you think you are going, and why are you going to be back so late?" His voice got louder as he came to a stop besides me at the door.

"I've got a date, I told you and mami last night and you guys gave me a un-"

"No, no, no. I don't want any daughter of mine to come home so late. Be back before nine so you can get enough rest for tomorrow." I looked at him confused.

"But papi, tomorrow is Saturday. I can sleep in for a bit."

"Mija, did you forget that tomorrow you and I were going to go ice skating in the park?" I kissed his cheek as I opened the door, my dating waiting outside.

"Buenas noches Mr. Cabello." My date said with a smile, my father just looked at me with his big brown eyes.

"I'll see you later then mija." My father kissed my forehead and walked away.

What I didn't expect was for us to stay out a bit later than we hoped, studying for college classes and cuddling in a warm bed with a glass of wine caused me to drift off to sleep and waken a bit past midnight.

Yes, I'm gonna stay with her tonight
I'll see you in the morning
No, of course she won't drink and drive
Can you say bye to mom for me

"But mija, I could always go and pick you up. No hay pedo, really." My father's voice laced with concern sounded from the other end of the phone.

"No, it's fine papi, really. I'll be home tomorrow in the afternoon, just in time for us to make it to the skating ring. Te amo papi."

"Te amo mija, cuídate." He sighed before replying, if only he had told me he planned for us to get breakfast, I wouldn't had taken all the time in the world to get home.

Oh, you'll like her, she's really kind
And she's funny like you sometimes
And I found someone I really like
Maybe for the first time

"And then she slipped and I was laughing so hard that I managed to fall on my bottom too."

My mother laughed as I told them the story of my girlfriend and I going out to ice skate in Utah. It was a last minute thing, but the best entire week ever spent with her. Sure my father didn't like the idea of me coming home and packing a bag and leaving. Actually, as I told the story he stayed with an unimpressed face, even scoffed at the nickname my girlfriend had given me.

"Bambi, oh my gosh, that name fits you so well mija. Remember mi amor, when we would go skating when Karla was small and she would have the balance of Bambi."

"Yes, I do. Actually, I was the first one to give you that nickname, my little Bambi." His eyes turned soft as he remembered the old days, back when I was small and would run to him for everything.

"Oh! I forgot, I got to get ready, she's going to pick me up in a bit to go to the airport." I got up and my father followed.

"Mija, you just came back from your other trip, and now you are leaving to another state just like that. Aren't you tired, don't you wanna stay and help me make some of those plantains you love so much?" As he spoke I fixed up my hair and put on my shoes.

"Papi, don't worry. She's got a big opportunity waiting for her in Miami, I told you and mami over the phone. I'm going with her for good luck, full support."

"But all this travel, don't you just want to stay here and watch Disney movies with your mama and I? A cup of hot coco or a nice glass of wine?" I came up to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek with a hug.