CHAPTER 8 - THE HEART REMEMBERS 4.0

Start from the beginning

But I could sense it, I could sense it all very clearly.

It had been 8 days since I last saw him, and it had never been this way ever, when we were both in the same city! And if it had been just that, I could still get myself to understand that he was busy, but he wasn't even talking to me properly.Our conversations that usually lasted for hours , either over the phone or texts had now turned into a couple of one liner texts here and there or a couple of minutes of, hey, how are you? Im good, how was your day? Ok Khushi iv gota go now, ill speak to you later – and all this would only happen if he did take my calls in the first place.

And then ofcourse, there was something so indifferent in his voice now.He was sounding so distant.

Yes this was my first dating experience, but I was no fool, I could sense that he was avoiding me.

But why??

I had spent last couple of nights rewinding every moment that id spent with him the last I saw him wondering what was it that id done wrong?Had I made a mistake?? Did I do something to overwhelm him??

But my mind answered everything easily, I didn't think id done anything wrong, infact I wasn't even mad at him for hiding the fact that he was not just Arnav Singh but was Arnav Singh Raizada. I had understood hadn't I? Then what was this about?

This dejected feeling was eating up my insides, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to see him, I had to ask him. What if he really was just busy?

I rubbed my eyes slowly as I fought a headache, I hadn't slept in peace over a week.

I quickly picked up my phone put of my pocket and I opened it to our text conversation.I had messaged him this morning too, asking him how he was, wishing him a good day, asking if we could catch up today.

But he didn't reply.

I quickly dialled his number, and waited in anticipation as the bell rang and I was almost afraid that he'd not take my call again, but right then he picked up and he spoke – " hi Khushi...".Just as I heard him say my name, I felt relief wash over me. Hearing his voice was enough to calm my edgy nerves, but then the very next second, I heard a lot of chatter and noise in the background, and I asked on reflex – " Hi Arnav, are you outside.."

"Yes Khushi I am out with a couple of friends from class , for lunch.. Can I talk to you later??"

Later,again?? Really?? He has the time to hang out with people, he just doesn't have the time to talk to me, let alone meet me. And for the first time, I felt my anger starting to rise, but I didn't want to say anything over the phone, so I just took a deep breathe to calm my nerves as I spoke – " ok , no worries, ill wait..", and I hung up, feeling more dejected than ever before.

And now all I could do was wait for him to get in touch, call or even text me. I wanted to talk to him, tell him all about how today was my last day of internship, the bosses really applauded my efforts, and I was excited to start the last semester of grad, two days from now. There was so much I wanted to say, god I was missing him so much that it was driving me nuts, I couldn't stop thinking about him, I needed to know what was wrong here, surely, but could I just barge in and ask him that?

I wanted to, but I don't know why I was scared.

And my mind automatically went back to rewinding all my momets with him over the last three months in my head, and I re-read all our text conversations and rewinded all our talks in my head too, maybe there was something I had messed up, and but I couldn't understand it.