Yes, You do

She reluctantly shook his outstretched hand and hoped she wouldn't regret it.

She did, multiple times over multiple years.

Their friendship slowly grew, going from eating lunch together to walking home from school together. The first time they walked home, the mutual confusion increased as both expected the other to break off in a different direction. The closer they got to their neighborhood, the more they realized that they had been living near each other for years.

"How come I've never seen you outside or anything?", Kai said

"I'm not much of an outside person", which was obvious by her entire demeanor, she looked like she'd never seen a sunny day in her life, pale skin and light blue eyes, highly contrasted by her straight black hair, cut short in a sharp pixie cut. Even in the little middle school body that she had, she looked like a modern Victorian age beauty.

Kai, on the other hand, looked exactly like the vibe his personality gave off, he had a slight tan from being out in the sun. He wasn't blessed with the beautiful golden locks that his mother once had, but with his father's curly brown hair, which didn't look good if he let it grow out too long. 

They both said goodbye and went their separate ways down the street, Diana not wanting to mention the family troubles that Kai had, obvious to everyone else in the neighborhood. Whenever they hung out, it was rarely at one of their houses, even though her parents were rarely there during the day, always working, she didn't like being in the cold, sleekly decorated house by herself. She had explained to Kai that it lacked a certain coziness, especially when her parents weren't there, not that they were very cozy anyway. And for reasons that Diana never asked about, Kai refused to let her or anyone go to his house. They usually ended up going to the library to hang out, strolling through the shelves, looking at books they had already read or just sitting in the comfortable chairs.