How Could This Happen?

Diana Violet Eirwen went to a miserable high school in miserable bright Salt lake city, home of the Mormons! The only thing that made her life slightly bearable was the fact that she knew her friend Kai Aragon would always be there to talk crap about cheerleaders and petty basic white girls. Kai was literally Diana's reason to live, her soul, the one thing she looked forward to every day, her best friend.

So when Kai killed himself, everything in her life changed.

She distinctly remembers. It was a Wednesday in September, his favorite day of the week because it's right in the middle.

She had found a great vine compilation that she was pretty excited to show him the night before. She got on a regular outfit, t-shirt, and jeans with her beat-up combat boots, and was as ready as possible for the day.

Kai would be waiting at the front of the school as per usual, with his phone out watching his favorite anime over and over. This guy loved the cheesiest romance comedy ones though, Ouran high school host club, Your lie in April, and occasionally a gay sports anime.

But today he wasn't there.

Maybe he's already inside? Diana thought as she got off the bus at Grandcrest High School. She looked inside for a while, until the bell rang, 

"guess he doesn't get to see this legendary vine comp" she whispered to herself in irritation. 

She went to her first classes, boring, because why would it be different today? At lunch, as she got, what was supposed to be a sloppy Joe, but looked inedible, she heard a scratchy voice over the speakers.

"Our dear student *what was it again* *whisper* Kai Aragon, has taken his own life early this morning. We will have an assembly after all lunches end, for now let's have a solemn moment of silence for this devastating loss."
*Chk
*no change in volume of hungry high schoolers

Diana never really listens to announcements, but this one, she thought it was a joke at first. A cruel joke played by some of Kai's bullies that managed to get to the microphone.

If only.

It took Diana a minute to take it in, as she stood in the middle of the lunchroom, a blank gaze on her face. Kai..........Dead? They had always joked about suicide, made fun of it, the pussies who "couldn't hack it" and gave up. But Kai. . . . .actually did it. She felt like she was falling into a bottomless pit where she just kept in this perpetual state of shock. It took her a shove and a step on the foot from a popular looking guy as he was reaching for napkins to come back to reality.

And she couldn't believe what was happening.