Do I have to?

Diana had become friends with Kai a long time after he moved to her area in second grade. They had lived near each other for about five years but somehow first met in sixth grade, when they were both new to middle school and terrified.

Kai's family was less than popular, the constant yelling coming from their home and the having been there for years without caring to know their neighbors put a slight damper on any friendships they could've made.

You might be thinking that Diana and Kai met and clicked right away, right?

.......

That didn't happen

It's not like they fought or anything, but their friendship began as mostly seeing each other passing in the halls and basically thinking, 

"Hey, I've seen them a few times? Maybe they hate this as much as I do"

Finally, one day at lunch, Kai (being the more outgoing one) came up to Diana eating her quickly put together bag of random food from her kitchen. "Hi, I noticed that you're also a new and quite possibly dying sixth-grader, wanna be friends?". She looked up at this loser looking kid with a glasses prescription that looked like it belonged to an eighty-year-old woman, who appeared and interrupted her feasting, "Do I Have to?" she said, mouth half-full of chewed up Oreos.

"Yes you do, my name's Kai"