Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

"There's no time—" Brennan commented.

"Just try it again," I repeated.

Trevor pressed the red button, and the injector hand popped open, moving toward Trevor's hand. This time he rested the palm of his hand against a row of the needles. I looked away as the streams of blood escaped down his wrist. He hovered his arm back over the sensor allowing more blood to be read. We waited in silence hoping the door would open, but instead an alarm went off.

"Human detected. Access denied. Human's are not allowed beyond this point."

"Human?" I looked at Trevor. Was there something he wasn't telling me?

His usually electric blue eyes had faded with disappointment. He hadn't been lying like I first thought. He really didn't know.

"How is that even possible?" Brennan threw his hands up in the air.

"His father isn't his father," I suggested. "Either that or the machine is broken."

"Aya, you're onto something. When I was little, my mom had this boyfriend and they used to joke about how much I looked like him. At least I thought they were joking, but maybe they weren't." Trevor admitted. "But Brennan's right. We don't have much time."

I stuck my hand out this time. Something I should have done from the beginning. As the needle pierced my index finger, I turned my head. They were catching up to us. I could see them in the distance. They were maybe less than a couple of minutes away, so we needed to hurry. Quickly, I wavered my hand over the sensor, letting blood seap onto it. Closing my eyes, I waited in fear, thinking that the door wouldn't open.

"Access granted," the voice spoke, surprising me.

We hurried through it, watching it close before they could get to us.

"Okay, now what?" Trevor asked.

That's the last thing I remembered before everything went black.

I was lying in the grass. My leg was not able to move as I tried to sit myself up. I scanned my surroundings. Fifty feet in front of me was the edge of a cliff, and underneath sharp rocks flowing light pink water. I was at Westercliff. Just like my dream in the very first test Emmy had given me.

A boom clapped in the distance and I watched as blue laser shot through the sky, like a lightning bolt. I tried crawling further inland. My fingernails dug into the moist soil. After, what seemed like ten minutes, I was only inches from where I had woken up. The feeling in my legs had finally come back. I clamped onto a pole, trying to get myself up without falling over back into the grass.

"I wouldn't if I were you." I recognized Rayne's voice in the distance. "There's no point." I turned my neck and noticed her smirking as she crossed her arms.

"Rayne, please. You're not a villain. You can still go back," I tried to persuade her to fall back.

She took a few steps closer, her eyes were like darkened windows. A dark hoodie covered her hair. She was almost unrecognizable. It was like she was possessed.

"You're being brainwashed," I said stumbling back a few steps. "They're just using you. You have to understand that."

She shook her head. "I don't have to understand anything." She rolled her eyes. "You know what, I'm really tired of people telling me what to do," she said. "You're just as bad as those ignorant humans." She laughed. "Some phony prodigy you are."