Chapter Thirty-Three

CHAPTER THIRTY- THREE

RAYNE

The missiles were proof that Serina wanted to destroy the Sanctum. It was just like the video Camden had shown me. Even though I trusted Camden, I had been starting to question her. Nova taught me to always question everything. That was the only way to make sure what I was doing was real. Nova was something else. A gift. Hope when there was only despair. Although she had changed, I still thought about her. Sure, I was mad she had rejected me after the escape, but the anger was fading away. I trusted that she had a good reason to reject me. Maybe she thought I would be safer here.

After we met with Serina, Camden pulled me aside. She mentioned that it was time that I meet some very important allies. Whether I liked it or not, I hadn't had much choice, but to follow Camden.

"You seem nervous," Camden pointed out as we started to walk into a dark tunnel.

I don't seem nervous, I am nervous. I wanted to tell her, but I did want to exhibit any signs of weakness, no matter how small. Instead I said, "no, I'm fine."

"They're going to love you," she replied.

No matter what she said, I stood upright, while my hands shook behind my back. There was a reason why I was nervous. The decision. I still wasn't sure I was making the right one. Even after realizing Serina was up to no good, second thoughts were starting to reappear like clockwork.

We climbed a set of stairs before arriving at Camden's secret office. It was in what was left of an old apartment building that was going to be torn down. The minutes we waited for the "supposed allies" to arrive, seemed like hours. The tip of my nail was digging into the skin on my wrist, making a waxing crescent mark imprinted with drips of blood. There was a strong knocking on the door.

"Just be yourself," Camden whispered.

That was really some great advice. Look where being myself has landed me. Here, or in jail. Two not so great options. Maybe if I wasn't being myself, I would have actually had a normal life. Instead, in the midst of a shit show.

A man in his forties was the first to enter. His back hunched, and he limped with a cane. He stared at me with piercing gray eyes as he walked into the room. What he lacked in physique, he made up with sternness.

"Nice to see you again Commander Gotsam," Camden bowed to him.

He nodded, but didn't speak. A second man entered behind him. He was young. Maybe fourteen. He was probably the Commander's son. After him, entered two women wearing armored body suits. They were definitely identical twins. Both women had one brown eye and one purple eye.

"Is this the prodigy you speak of sister?" One of the women addressed Camden.

Sister? Was Camden her actual sister, or was that just a formality?

Camden nodded. "Yes, this is Rayne. A true jem."

The other woman started walking around me in a circle, observing me, like she was shopping. I felt like I was on display.

"She looks strong," the same woman said to Camden, like I wasn't even in the room. "We'd like to see her powers." She then turned back to me. "I'm Sam, and that's my sister, Pryn." She pointed to the other twin.

That's when Camden turned to me and nodded. A signal to do my thing. In order for that to happen, I had to get angry. Really angry.

"I don't think—" I started, but Camden cut me off.

"Just something small. We don't want to attract attention to us."

I nodded. I really didn't want use my powers, but Camden had really backed me into a corner. There was a small chair by the door, and I kneeled down, looking in its direction. A light started to emit slowly as I began to think of my strange life. That was weird. I had never emitted a light before. Then I thought of the rejection later. That did the trick. The chair was now floating in the air just above the door handle. After a second, I returned it to its original position.

"That's just a small sample of what she can do," Camden told them.

Sam stepped forward and looked at me. Again, awkwardness was starting to take place. The next thing I knew, I heard someone talking, but no one's lips were moving.

"Hello Rayne," I heard a woman's voice say.

It took me a moment, but I realized it was only in my head. "Hello," I replied back inside my mind.

"Huh, so moving things isn't your only power?" It was the woman standing in front me, Sam. We were communicating without speaking. "You'd make a great queen," she said.

Before I could respond, the Commander had spoken out loud. "We should talk about our next move," he said.

"Do you think we're ready?" Camden seemed skeptical. "We need more time to prepare—"

"Now is the time," he explained. "Waiting too long will make it harder to move on them."

"The Commader is right, " Pryn stepped forward. "The other side has a strong child too. More powerful than they are aware of. Their child hasn't even discovered how powerful they truly are," she said. "But once he or she does, defeating them will become much more difficult."

EDITED: 02/04/2020