Chapter Fifty-Seven

CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

RAYNE

 I was still reeling from Hayes's death. So many emotions had built up inside me, combined of sadness, anger, and guilt, it was like a balloon that was going to burst. Over the past few weeks, all of us had become somewhat close, even though we had some minor setbacks, mostly caused by me.

When I stepped inside the vehicle, the man took my hand to help me up. "I'm Lambchop." He smiled wide exposing a row of golden teeth.

"I'm Rayne," I said. "That's Lake," I said turning to look at her.

 "Oh, I've heard a lot about you," he said as soon as the door had closed. "Nova can't stop talking about you. You robbed a department store? Dang girl, you're tougher than you look."

I knitted my brows in confusion. "You know Nova?" I asked.

Lambchop grasped onto my shoulder with a firm grip. "Do I?" He laughed. "I've been listening to her this whole trip."

"You have?"

 "Hey Nova..." He called out.

A teenage girl with flowering long hair scattered with small braids walked out. It took me a second, but I knew it was Nova. She had changed in the matter of a few months, but it was still her.

She saw me and wrapped her arms around my thin frame. I didn't understand. The last time we had talked, she basically wanted nothing to do with me, and now she was almost crying. I enjoyed the hug and didn't want to let go, but she pulled away.

"I was wrong," Nova said. "I shouldn't have treated you like that."

 "It's fine," I said rubbing my arm. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

 "Piper was a member of the underground Light and my close friend," Lambchop began. "We heard about her death and we knew we had to do something," he said. "We didn't know all of this was going on, but I guess it's good we came when we did."

I nodded. "I'm glad you all came. We need as much help as we can get," I said.

Nova smiled. "Let me introduce you to the rest of the crew." She took my hand and led me to the back of the spacious vehicle. "This is Kaz," she said pointing to a woman with a leather jacket.

Kaz shook my hand vigorously. "It's good to meet ya," she said.

"And in the front is our captain, Sydney," Nova said.

A teenage girl with messy blonde hair and a beanie turned around and waved at me. She was probably my age, but she was the captain, that was quite impressive.

"Have you heard anything about Zander?" I asked quietly. He hadn't left my mind. I still felt guilty he was rotting away in prison because of me.

"We have some people working on it," Nova started. "His lawyers are trying to convince the courts that you coerced him into the robbery, that should reduce his charges. And once he's in a minimum security prison, we should be able to break him out."

I felt a little relief knowing there was some hope for him. Once we were finished fighting the evil out here, I was going to go help him. We had known each other since we were in diapers, and I wasn't going to let him die in there.

"Let's go help your friends," Nova suggested. "Go ahead and power up," she told Sydney.