18 - Investigation

"Miss Dupain-Cheng," Mr. Damocles's disappointed sigh made my whole body quake in fear.

My parents sat on either side of me. I didn't have the nerve to look at their faces, despite not even being the culprit.

"You've been accused of theft, how do you defend yourself?" the principal said.

I stayed silent. I don't know why but... I couldn't speak. I couldn't form any words, couldn't speak up or defend myself.

I felt so... weak...

Mr. Damocles sighed. "I see..."

The items that weren't mine were spread across his desk, like evidence in a crime scene.

They were little things, but to the people they belonged to, they must be very valuable...

Why did this happen to me? How? I never put these in my bag!

"Ms. Dupain-cheng, if you can't defend yourself, I'll have to expel you from François Dupont High." Mr. Damocles told me.

My eyes widened in horror and my spine froze over. Expelled?!

I felt my parents gazes on me. Why are they not defending me?

I sighed, I have to say something if nobody else will, "Please," I begged.

"Please give me a chance to find who the real culprit is." I pleaded. The silence that followed was killing me.

In that period of quiet, the only thing that was louder than my panicked breathing was the beating of my racing heart in my ears.

My skin tingled and a trickle of sweat dripped down my forehead.

Is this it for me? Will he let me investigate? Will I even be able to find the real culprit? Why did they frame me? What did I do wrong?

Those questions were drowned out when I heard Mr. Damocles sigh.

"Fine. I'll let you stay here until the end of the week. But if you can't find out who did it by the deadline, you will be expelled." he told me.

I sighed. Until the end of this week. That's only three days, but that's the best I can get.

"Thank you." I murmured.

~ At the bakery several minutes later...

"MARI!"

The bakery door slammed open with a tall, panicked boy rushing in. "Nathaniel told me what happened, I'm so sorry I couldn't be there." Luka pouted.

"It's fine..." I said not so 'fine'ly. "Why weren't you at school? Are you sick?" I asked. I could tell he was.

His eyes, ears and nose were red. He looked exhausted. "Did you get any rest?" I questioned. He shook his head quietly, "Uhh... I was writing a song..." he murmured sheepishly.

I sighed and punched his shoulder lightly, "You should sleep. Get outta here." I told him.

He held my shoulders firmly, stared into my eyes and held my gaze, I couldn't look away, no matter how hard I tried.

"I'm not going anywhere. Let's find out who did this. You don't need to face this on your own." he murmured.

I heard my Mom's "Aww..." behind me, making me and Luka turn red. He quickly loosened his grip on my shoulders and kept his hands at his sides.

"H-hello, Ms. Cheng." he stammered.

"It's good to see you, Luka. It's very nice of you to help Marinette." she smiled kindly. Luka chuckled, "I guess I kind of owe her, she's done a lot for me and my sister, it's the least I could do." I could see his cheeks slightly flush up.