14 - The New Girl

Marinette's POV

The increasing number of customers was overwhelming. I had to bake at an accelerating rate, we were running out of macaroons and croissants.

I cursed under my breath at how unlucky I was to make two of the most difficult pastries under pressure.

Time and time again, my mind would slowly drift toward the topic of Adrien and Luka. Both boys have a place in my heart, I just need to know where to put them.

I never imagined I'd be put in a situation like this.

Thoughts of both boys ran through my mind, clouding my vision with their faces.

In my boy-filled-haze, my elbow accidentaly knocked a glass measuring cup off the table, crashing down on the floor.

"Agh, dammit." I hissed loudly staggering away from the shards.

I leaned down to collect the shards before the door slammed open, startling me.

"Marinette are you-" Luka burst in, he cut off his words when he saw my hands close to the broken pieces of glass.

He dashed towards me, kneeling down and pulling my hands away from the shards. "Don't touch them, I'll do it." he said.

He collected the glass shards as I was left speechless.

Luka suddenly hissed and flung away a shard. He looked down at his finger, there was a small gash on the side. "Ow..." he grumbled.

I held his hand in mine, looking at the cut carefully. Luka must've noticed the worry in my eyes because he pulled his hand away as his cheeks flourished pink, "I'm fine, it's just a cut." he said dismissively.

I frowned, "Tch," I grumbled, glaring at him, I pulled him up and held his wrist as I walked to the sink.

"You should be more careful Luka." I sighed as I opened the faucet. He hissed briefly at the sting as I put his bleeding finger under the running faucet.

"I'm fine." he insisted, pulling his hand away and out of my grasp. "This isn't the first cut I've gotten, you know." he said.

I sighed, "Fine, just let me get you a band aid."

Luka's POV

As soon as Marinette finished patching up my cut, I ran back to the counter. To my distraught, there was a longer line of customers, all looking quiet impatient.

"I'm so sorry. My colleague made a bit of a mess and I-"

"Is it only you two working here?" the customer asked. I nodded, ashamed.

"Maybe you should think about hiring an extra employee? Just someone who helps around in general."

I pondered the idea, then nodded, "Of course. Thank you for the advice."

After quite a few customers were served, a young girl, maybe a year or two under me came up.

I recognized her almost immediately.

"Camille?" I raised my eyebrows. I haven't seen her in months.

She smiled, "Luka, I thought that aqua blue hair looked familiar." she chuckled.

"Nice to see you again, what would you like?" I asked her, remembering I still have a job to do.

She fidgeted with her fingers, "Actually, I'm looking for a job..." she mumbled quietly, tugging at her brown braids.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "A job?" I repeated questionably. She nodded slowly, "I overheard your conversation with that customer earlier and I just couldn't resist asking." she said.