9 - Biology Partners

"Today, you'll be partnered up with another student for this assignment. I'm expecting excellent results from all of you, assuming you payed attention to the lessons." Ms. Mendeleiev announced.

The groans of several students voiced my feelings about this assignment.

It was a biology assignment, so it wasn't going to be easy, although I do like biology.

"Quiet! I will now name the pairs." Ms. Mendeleiev scrambled through her papers and fixed her glasses.

The standard names were called, I mostly didn't pay attention to any except the last two.

"Luka Couffaine with Nathaniel Kurtzburg," I saw Nathaniel's face scrunch up in fear.

I glanced at Luka, he gazed at the redhead briefly as the pairing was called.

"And finally, Adrien Agreste and Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

My face flushed dark red as I saw him turn around and wink at me.

I felt someone's burning stare on the side of my head. When I turned to look at where this scorching energy was coming from, I briefly saw Luka look away.

He looked... upset.

His head was down, but I saw his eyes quickly glare at Adrien.

I chose to ignore it, but there was a cold claw tearing at my shoulder, whispering questions and curiosities into my ear.

When classes ended, I packed my things and headed for the door, but I felt a hand touch my shoulder, urging me to halt.

I turned around, expecting to see Nathaniel or Luka, but I was completely shocked to see Adrien.

"A-Adrien?" I stammered, my face burned.

He gave an adorable eye smile, "Do you want to work on the assignment together in the library?" he asked.

My heart probably did three flips before I answered, "W-what? Oh! S-sure! Yeah-!" I shifted shyly.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Luka frown.

My eyebrows creased together, why's he acting especially moody today.

"Actually, Adrien,"

Luka's voice made Adrien turn around. Luka was standing just behind him. "Marinette and I have to go to work, don't we, Marinette?" his cold blue eyes pierced mine with an all too familiar chill.

"Oh... r-right..." I mumbled sadly.

Suddenly, I perked up, "I could just text my mom and tell her I'll be late!" I said, taking out my phone.

Luka scowled, "Fine then. I'll wait for you and Model Boy to finish the assignment then I'm taking you to the bakery." he crossed his arms.

"Why don't you just go ahead?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes, "Because I know you probably wouldn't want to leave even after you finish the assignment," his eyes briefly glanced at Adrien. "so I'll be dragging you home."

Nathaniel walked over, seeming to be very confused at the situation at hand.

"Let's go to the library." Adrien offered me his hand with a charming, yet warm smile. He's so perfect!

It was quiet, just the two of us, I was afraid he'd hear my heartbeat through the suffocating silence.

We sat down across from each other at the table, "So, what do we do first?" Adrien asked. I flipped through my notes, "Uh, I guess we could write that report on cell organelles." I said.