15 - He Doesn't Like You

Customers poured in minutes after I opened the bakery. As I hoped, Camille was walking up to the customers and handing them flyers along with a chocolate chip cookie.

After I made the first few batches of pastries, I went out to check on my fellow employees.

Luka was fairing well, informing them a little on the anniversary event. Camille, like Luka said, was very helpful.

When she wasn't handing out flyers, she was entertaining little kids, helping me out with baking or cleaning around the place.

Around noon, a very familiar someone walked in when I was checking on my colleagues.

I almost knocked something over again.

Adrien Agreste's shining blond hair caught my eye, his sparkling green eyes and radiant smile made it so difficult to look away. But then again, why would you ever want to look away?

He gave me a small wave along with a kind smile. My heart was pounding out of my chest.

"Oh, Adrien! Hey!" Camille's voice snapped me out of my heart-filled trance. "Camille? What're you doing here?" I saw a tiny hint of pink surfacing on his cheeks, but I didn't think much of it.

"I got a job here!" she smiled. Adrien grinned, "Congratulations."

I could've sworn there was something more than just a small friendship there... but I was too immersed in Adrien's radiance to translate it.

"So w-what bakers bring to your here? I-I mean- uhhh what brings you to our bakery?" I stammered shyly while my face was burning.

"I just wanted to pick up a croissant before going to my next photoshoot at the Eiffel Tower." Adrien said.

"I'll get an Adrien for you, croissant!" I said quickly, rushing off to the bakery. I grabbed one of the croissants with a pair of tongs and stuffed it into a paper bag.

I ran back out with the bag in my hand, "Here! Fresh from the oven!" I smiled. Adrien returned the smile.

He's so adorable!

"Thank you, Marinette." he said. "Yesterday was pretty fun, wasn't it? It was a shame Luka was too busy to come." Adrien sighed.

I caught my breath. I glanced over at Luka, he heard too. I awkwardly coughed, "Y-yeah... hehe..." I shifted uncomfortably.

"So was everything okay, Luka? Marinette said you had to rush back home for some reason." Adrien asked the blue-haired boy after he just finished attending to one of the customers.

He didn't look at either of us when he nodded, "Jules wasn't feeling well." he lied through quiet lips.

"Oh, okay. Is she feeling better now?" the golden-haired model said. Luka simply nodded.

Adrien turned back to me and Camille. "I should get going now, bye." he said, but it was more of a goodbye to Camille than me.

Again, I didn't give it any thought.

Once he left the bakery, I heaved out a big breath.

"Alright, back to baking." I told myself as I headed back to the bakery.

Since that day, Adrien's been coming to the bakery more and more often. My parents would even start asking me if he was my boyfriend. I would always dismiss their teasing questions but everytime they asked I silently wished it were true.

Eventually, he visited enough times for me to start thinking about why he visits so frequently. My mind played with the idea that he visits everyday to see me. And soon enough, I was starting to believe it.

One night, while my parents were closing up shop, I waited for Luka outside to walk him home.

"Ready to go?" I asked as he came out with a thick winter jacket. He nodded in response.

We walked silently in the cold. Before I knew it, I was shivering. I really should've brought a sweater or a jacket.

My fingers felt numb. I wrapped myself in my arms but it didn't help much. Luka must've noticed my trembling.

A sudden warmth covered my shoulders and upper body. Luka draped his jacket over my shoulders. My cheeks warmed, making it evem hotter.

I paused in my tracks, "L-Luka, you shouldn't give me your jacket in these conditions, you'll freeze!" I stammered.

"What was I supposed to do? Watch you freeze to death without doing anything?" he retorted.

I looked away, "Thanks." I murmured. Luka remained quiet, but in the corner of my eye I could see a small smile appear on his lips.

Before I could back out, I asked him, "Hey... do you think Adrien likes me?" I questioned slowly with caution as we started walking again.

Luka looks at me with confusion, "Has he been showing signs?" he asked. I shrugged, looking away shyly, "Well... he's been coming to the bakery a lot more often don't you think? I mean- maybe he keeps coming by to see me." I guessed.

The blue-haired boy was silent, when I looked at him, his eyes held signs of sadness and pity. "Oh... Marinette. It... it's not you who he's coming by to see all the time..." he said quietly.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What do you mean?" I said. Luka's eyes darted away when we made eye contact. "Well..." he drew.

"What do you mean?" I repeated, displaying a more demanding tone. Luka but his lip, "I don't think I can say-"

"Tell me!" I cut him off angrily. Luka jumped in surprise. He sighed, "He likes Camille, not you." he said quietly.

Words failed to come out of my mouth, I stopped walking. Should I believe him? No. Why should I? "No- I won't believe that." I growled, shifting my eyes away from him.

"Marinette, I'm telling you the tru-" he reached out for me but I pushed him away harshly. His eyes were wide and shocked. Mine were dark, and furious. "You're just saying that because you don't want me and Adrien to be together!" I couldn't stop the words from coming out of my mouth.

I didn't want to stop them.

Luka's gaze softened, "Mari..."

"No, don't Mari me!" I shouted. "Why should I believe you? Do you have anything to back up that claim? You don't, do you?!" I continued to lash out, my cheeks were red with anger.

Luka frowned, "Marinette, why are you being so irrational? It's as clear as daylight! He doesn't like you! He likes Camille!" he told me.

"Shut up!" I cried. "Everytime he comes to the bakery, he always talks to Camille first, talks to Camille the most!" Luka continued to shout.

"I SAID SHUT UP!" I couldn't control the volume of my voice. It screeched high above my lungs. Before I even knew what happened, I saw Luka on the floor, panting with his eyes wide and scared.

But there was one thing that made me come back to my senses. There was a red hand mark on his cheek.

I slapped him.