3 - Second Chance

"I know it's very soon, but you'll all be separated into groups of three for an assignment." Ms. Bustier told us.

The loud groans of the students around me voiced my feelings.

Ms. Bustier laughed, "I know, I know, it's very unfortunate, but don't worry. I made sure the assignments were easy. Each group will have a different topic to research about."

Maybe it won't be so bad?

"Okay, so I'll name the groups," she took out a piece of paper. "Adrien, Nino and Alya. Ivan, Mylene and Alix. Kim, Juleka and Max. Sabrina, Chloe and Rose. Nathaniel, Marinette and Luka."

I smiled that I'd be in a group with someone familiar, but I felt... disappointed that Luka was in our group.

I glanced at him briefly, he was glaring at me. I quickly retracted my gaze and looked down at my hands.

"It's nice to be in a group with you." Nathaniel's voice made me look up. I smiled, "Yeah, I feel the same."

His cheeks slowly flushed a similar color as his hair.

~ Afterschool...

Nathaniel and I stood near the front of the school, talking about the assignment.

"So our assignment is on animal behaviour in captivity. I think the zoo would be the best place to go." Nathaniel suggested.

I nodded, "Sounds like a good idea."

I looked around for any sign of Luka. Nathaniel scoffed, "Looks like he didn't bother showing up to discuss the assignment, should've guessed." he grumbled.

My spine turned rigid when I spotted Luka's blazing blue eyes right behind Nathaniel, approaching with a cold aura around him.

"If you have a problem with me, you could just tell me straight to my face." he hissed.

That voice... it's held such a sharp and aggresrive tone.

Nathaniel whipped around, sweating bullets, "O-oh...! Hey, Lukes-"

"Please, no nicknames." Luka interrupted.

"Right- sorry..." Nathaniel chuckled sheepishly.

"What are we doing for the assignment?" Luka asked. Nathaniel rolled his eyes, "Maybe if you were here earlier, you would've known."

Luka frowned, "Well I'm here now, right? Care to fill me in?" he turned to me.

I froze on the spot, he must've known I couldn't turn him down like Nathaniel. "W-well- we're going to the zoo." I told him.

Nathaniel sighed, "Actually, sorry guys but I can't go with your today. I've got to get home ASAP." he said.

"What?!" Luka scowled.

I ignored Luka's outburst and put my hand on Nathaniel's shoulder, "It's okay, so long as you present it-"

Luka snapped, "Are you serious? And you blame me for being late! We have to do the work while you relax at home-"

Nathaniel scowled, "You don't even know why I can't come!" he growled.

"Exactly!" Luka retorted, "How do we know you aren't ditching the group?" he narrowed his fiery eyes.

"Guys, stop!" I separated the quarreling boys.

"Luka, you need to learn how to trust people and control your temper!" I clenched my fists.

I hope he won't be this hotheaded when we're working on the assignment.

Luka stayed silent as he crossed his arms and backed away from Nathaniel. The fire was still alive and burning in his eyes.