Chapter 24

Dante's eyes >>>>

---Jacob's POV---

This new, giddy and proud feeling was something I needed to get used to. Seeing those three pups lying side by side and knowing that those were our kids was strange. It was slowly sinking in that I was a father now.

A daddy...A stupid grin slid over my lips as I watched the three for a while, taking the privilege to sneak some time with my kids and mate before I had to share them with the pack. I could hear them scrambling downstairs and sniffing like crazy. No doubt with the fact that one of these pups could be the future Alpha or Alphas if they decided to share responsibility, was driving their wolves insane.

When I had my fill of staring at my kids, I silently crept closer to our bed and gave Paige a kiss on her forehead, nuzzling the skin there. She barely smiled in her slumber; the poor thing was exhausted. Her control on the link during childbirth had only slipped once, and it was enough for me to feel sick to the stomach and apologize over and over again for putting her through this.

And to think that the doctor wanted her to go through that without pain relief! Honestly, I was glad I was a guy, I barely was able to keep my knees from collapsing during that short burst of hellish pain, I can't imagine going through that for hours on end!

With a last gentle stir on my mate's cheek, I quickly made my way downstairs and was met with a sea of eyes staring up at me. Oh boy...I hope they aren't going to argue with this.

"Uhm, Sean? Can you come up first for a moment? And before the rest of you start protesting, he goes first and alone because he's going to meet his mate for the very first time!" I said while raising my voice a bit when off course, several wolves keened out loud, protesting that they needed to wait even longer.

Sean quickly slid past them, an exited and slightly nervous expression on his face as he followed me up the stairs and to our bedroom. I pushed the door open and let him in first, smiling as he took a deep, calming breath before going to the basinet and held his breath.

I didn't know what was going through the vampire's mind as he slowly reached out but I think we were both a bit surprised when Jonathan wriggled around and growled softly, nuzzling protectively against Mackenzie as Dante seemed to sigh in annoyance and blinked with his eyes.

"Protective little bunch, aren't they?" Sean asked with a chuckle as I stepped up beside him and playfully smacked his back. No doubt that I felt more of that smack than the guy but I grinned as I said, "And they should. I don't want any drooling lecherous boy staring at my little girl."

Sean's eyes danced with mirth. "Please don't tell me you're going to be one of those dads who opens the door to his daughter's date with a loaded shotgun in his hands." He grinned teasingly as he glanced at me from the corner of his eyes.

"A shotgun? Why would I need a shotgun when I'll have the opportunity to threaten the boy with a savage pack of hungry wolves? That'll do the job just fine."

He shook his head with an amused snort and stared down at my daughter with a curious expression. I couldn't help but wonder what he was feeling now while he tried to find a way to grab a hold of her without her brothers to wake up.

"How do you feel about her now, knowing she's your mate?" The question slipped from my lips before I even realized it but Sean didn't seem to mind. I leaned over and grabbed the two boys before I sat down and let them rest on my chest. They were already twitching in their sleep and fidgeting slightly.

"It's...hard to explain, really." Sean started as he carefully cradled Mackenzie in his arms, tracing his finger delicately over her features before he rubbed over a strand of her bright hair. "A part of my mind feels like I'm a pedophile, knowing that I have found my Beloved in a newborn babe. The child isn't even an hour old and already is bonded to an old fart like me."