Chapter 5

---Paige’s POV---

I watched as the fox slipped out of the sleeping bag, tenderly placing her paws in front of her before she curled her tail over them. Fear and distrusted switched to love and longing when she glanced from the crowd around the fire to Nick, who had taken another step closer, gingerly stretching his hands towards her.

A flicker in the air notified us of her change before a woman stood in the foxes place. My eyes took her in; long black hair, fair skin and brilliant green eyes, which looked almost warily at everyone around her. She held the sleeping bag in front of her, probably because of her lack of clothing through her shift.

A smile curled on my lips while I nodded to myself; she would make a fine mate for Nick. From what I could gather, she seemed like a nice person, almost shy. Suddenly, three pair of hisses ran through the air before a flash of movement caught my eye.

Sean had bolted forwards till he stood right in front of me, crouching in a defensive position while Jacob stood next to him in wolf form. I looked beside me and noticed Lizzie and Beth huddled together while Cian and Cary bared their fangs, glaring at the unknown woman.

“Peyton Fawna Barker.” Sean hissed lowly while he crouched even lower, gaining a possessive and protective growl from Nick while he moved in the blink of an eye, standing between Sean and the woman. “Mine.” He growled between his teeth while his eyes grew black.

Cian huffed beside me while Cary took a step forwards. “She’s not yours. Fawna is marked by Lucius. She’s his Beloved!” Cian took a step backwards, needing the contact with his Beloveds before he relaxed slightly, shifting his gaze to the woman. “Why are you even here? Did Lucius sent you?” he sneered.

Nick stood in the middle of the clearing, shell-shocked while his eyes widened. I could see the different emotions flitting through his eyes. Pain. Joy. Betrayal. Anger. Love. Sadness. My heart ached for Nick, because I saw the way he and his wolf were struggling with what the vampires just said.

Jolting up from my sitting position, I yanked at Jacob’s fur when he growled at Fawna and pulled at the back of Sean’s shirt, effectively getting both of their attentions. “Hold up for a moment. Isn’t it a bit fair if you allow Fawna to explain things here?” I said, looking all of them in the eye while Nick glanced at me with a soft yet broken smile.

“Why?” Sean snarled, still eying Fawna with distrust while the raven-haired woman shifted her weight more towards Nick, although her eyes seemed to shield her emotions. Lizzie and Beth shared one look before they slapped the vampire twins upside their heads.

Cian hissed while Cary caught the wrists of Lizzie, who looked like she wanted to give him another smack. “What was that for?” he snapped, his eyes not as angry like before. Lizzie huffed and blew a stray strand of hair out of her face. “You guys are scaring her away. How would you have felt if Gran had scared us away from you guys?” Although her statement was meant rhetorically, both of the vampires clenched their jaws while the dark of their pupil flooded the white of their eyeball.

“Know what I mean?” Liz asked while placing her hands on her hips, looking up at both of her men. Cian and Cary rushed forwards to press their Beloveds against their chests while they shared a look of understanding with each other before they nodded slowly. Sean and Jacob however didn’t back down from their rather aggressive stance while they stood side by side, still glaring at Fawna.