Chapter 22

---Paige’s POV---

A smile slid on my lips, as I smelled the plate of bacon and eggs coming my way before Jacob’s stubble rasped against my cheek as he leaned in to kiss me. I chuckled and leaned against him, biting my lip slightly at the cooing sounds coming from mom while dad was eying Jacob quite murderously.

Jacob noticed and winched slightly, shuffling behind my seat as if seeking my protection. I nearly laughed but simply shook my head as I started on my breakfast, keeping an eye on my dad, just in case.

I could see where he was coming from though; having to abandon your daughter to save her, running for your life and finally being reunited, only to find out some unknown guy had his hands all over your kid and ended up getting her pregnant? Yeah, that was not a good first impression to say the least.

At least mom adored Jacob; she was looking at the way he seemed to be drawn to me, needing a physical touch every minute or so. Nothing too bad, a simple brush of his knuckles against my cheek or a quick inhale of my scent seemed to do the trick.

What surprised me most was the way his wolf acted; it seemed less dominant and overbearing but still him at the same time. Before, Jacob was more focused on the pack and status and now… now it seemed that he just didn’t care anymore. Like his view on the world had changed.

“It did.” He murmured in my mind. Glancing his way, his eyes sparkled with love and pride as they flitted to my stomach for a second before settling back on my face as we ignored the snort coming from Michael’s way.

After…what I did in the forest-“ Jacob started, anger and self-loathing flashing over his face as he turned his face away to stare out of the window. “I…I realized how much I would lose if I kept pushing you down and tried to be top-dog of the pack. You made me realize that I’m too hotheaded to lead the pack but you…”

Jacob turned to me with a soft and proud smile on his face as he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. “You’d be a great Luna…an amazing mother and an even better Alpha to our pack. If that’s okay with you, I’m going to take a step back and let you lead the pack Paige.”

The fork full of crispy bacon and gooey eggs froze just in front of my mouth before clattering on my plate. Me? The Alpha of the pack? But- But wasn’t the female supposed to support her mate?

Jacob chuckled softly as his arms slipped around my waist, pulling me off of my seat only to plop me down in his lap seconds later. “I figured we’d change traditions, mix things up a bit.” He said out loud, gaining the attention from my parents while Isabella ran into the kitchen, a large bowl in her hands.

“Uhm, mom?” Jacob asked, raising an eyebrow at the uncharacteristically nervousness of Isabella as she filled the bowl and searched her cupboards. She waved absentmindedly over her shoulder as she half crawled into a lower cupboard before resurfacing with a pile of towels balancing in her hands.

“Not now sweetie, Adrianna is in labor and Damon is extremely nervous, your dad is calming him down but every time his mate give a peep, we have a angry wolf pacing through the room. Be a good boy and call the witches and our pack doctor, will you? Thanks sweetie, got to go, bye!” She said in a stressed but cheerful voice, leaving us all stunned before Jacob seemed to snap out of it.