Chapter 20

---Daniel’s POV---

The cars stopped below the hills, the engines quickly silenced while everyone rushed out of the cars. A chill rushed over my spine as I looked up at the mansion that had an eerie feeling to it.

“They’re here.” Anna stated, looking at the house while the wolves appeared from the forest. I swallowed harshly, feeling a pull to the house while the nervous energy that clung to the air was making me jumpy.

I glanced behind me when soft growls and snapping of jaws announced the arrival of the wolves. They slid from shadow to shadow, suddenly appearing out of the woods with glowing eyes.

Luke’s black wolf was powerful as it pounced out of the woods, lips curled up in a snarl when he saw all of us gathered there. His ears flickered to the front and I watched in awe as his whole pack grouped behind him.

Even more, the pack of Alpha Jackson wasn’t far behind, his rust colored wolf appearing out of the darkness with long, powerful strides. I gazed over the sea of wolves before turning my head slightly to look at the road.

A smile slipped on my face when the empty road suddenly buzzed with activity, dozens of vampires skidding to a halt and spreading out, making sure that no-one saw our arrival.

“My lord.” I stated politely, inclining my head as Cain appeared a few steps away from me. He curtly nodded before looking at the mass of wolves with awe and curiosity before his eye settled on Anna.

A slow smile appeared on his face before he reached out and took her hand in his, placing a gentle kiss on her wrinkled skin. “A long time since I last saw your face Anna. Your beauty has only increased even more over the years.” Anna flushed at his flattery but smiled at the king nonetheless.

Luke growled lowly in his throat, gaining the attention of both Anna and the King as the wolf stepped in between them, looking from one to the other before staring pointedly to the house.

“I believe the Alpha is telling you to keep the flirting after we rescued the soulshifters.” Alistair stated with amusement while Luke growled lowly in agreement and stalked further to the house.

“Agreed, who knows what is happening inside.” I muttered, glancing worriedly at the house before several vampires returned, talking in soft tones to their king before disappearing again. Cain nodded once and sighed.

I looked behind me and jerked my head at Reeves, who shot one look at me before throwing a gun over his shoulder, a set of throwing blades following quickly. It was easy to catch them mid air and strap them to my chest, the gun safely tucked away against my hip. Looking around, I smiled to myself as I saw the others following my lead and started gearing  up. The wolves simply stared at us, the glints of cold steel blinking in their eyes when they fell on the blades.

Cain let out a small hum of curiosity before flicking two fingers through the air. Instantly the vampires that had been exploring, appeared beside him and lined up. My stomach twisted slightly but I was stunned and flattered at the same time when the king turned around and motioned to me with a twitch of his lips.