Chapter 13

---Jacob’s POV---

My wolf was growling in my head as I saw Paige’s wolf-form gradually stop fighting, probably from the lack of oxygen she was suffering, since the Drained kept looking at us with a taunting look as he altered between holding Paige on the back of her scruff or the vulnerable skin on her throat. When she shifted back and he crushed her against his side, I feared the worse.

“She’s still breathing Jacob. But we need to get her out of his hold before his control breaks.” Sean’s voice flitted through my head, making me look at him through my peripheral vision with a frown on my face. What was he talking about? Trying to get there would mean killing our mates; he knew that as much as I did.

When I saw him clench his jaw and his eyes flash at the small droplet of blood on the floor, I knew what he meant but I wished I never realized it. The Drained could succumb to its raging thirst any second, and the fact that he held my bleeding mate wasn’t exactly working in our favor.

Paige’s hands were clawing at the hand around her throat as she looked up in the sky; seeing that she was forced to tilt her head back with the Drained’s fingers digging in the skin below her jawbone. She gasped slightly, gaining the vile creature’s attention as it looked up before smirking and saying something to Paige.

“Now!” Sean urged before he lunged forwards, followed by the rest of the group. Its head swiveled back round before he started applying more pressure on Paige’s throat. I could feel my own throat tense and swell from the pressure before I stumbled to the ground with Sean grinding to a halt as he stared at the Drained with pure hatred.

A pained whine escaped Paige’s mouth before she reached with her hands to claw over the Drained’s face, managing to yank at his hair while the other held on the side of his face. A piercing screech echoed through the air before a pair of falcons dove down and instantly shifted into a leopard and a large tiger, as they were close enough to the ground.

Meanwhile, the Drained vampire bellowed as he stumbled back from Paige, a red-hot handprint burned in his face before the two animals reached him and tore into it. They elegantly avoided the lunges aimed at them as they darted past and around the Drained, where the leopard pounced onto its back and just as the Drained arched its back to grab it from his back and toss it away, the tiger lunged for the Drained’s throat.

I sighed in relief and found my feet take me towards Paige as she rubbed her sore throat. Gathering her in my arms, I quickly looked at Sean and let out another sigh. “She’s safe, a bit bruised but she’s going to be okay.” He sagged down on the ground in relief while Nick held a trembling Fawna in his arms, soothingly combing through her reddish fur.

Paige leaned back in my touch as I placed my face next to hers and took deep breaths to calm my wolf. He still wanted to go after that Drained and tear it to pieces. But the two shifters were one step ahead of me and had already finished the thing before turning around and shifting to their human form. They were staring at Paige like they couldn’t belief their eyes, a shocked expression glued to their faces as the female took a hesitant step forwards.

“Paige?” She shivered in my arms and nodded with a smile as the woman beamed with a teary smile before she squeezed in her mate’s hand. My heart warmed for Paige, since I knew that we had found her parents. Or rather, her parents have found us.