Chapter 18

---Jacob’s POV---

The sedation has worn off a long time ago, leaving me angry and frustrated as I tried again and again to break these chains but every attempt ended the same way. Eventually I sighed and dropped back, feeling the weights of the cuffs pulling on my wrists and throat, rubbing against the chafed skin.

I could still feel my wolf behind its barrier, trying to break free from the hold of whatever mixture they gave us so I could shift and break these chains. I had heard Nick’s voice cry out a while ago and I had called back but he hadn’t reacted in any other way.

Please don’t let anything have happened to the others.

The door creaked open slowly and I instantly snapped to attention, growling lowly in my throat when a Drained slid inside, pushing the door cautiously shut before he eyed me hungrily.

I gulped, knowing instantly that he wasn’t here on Lucius’ commands, in fact, he was probably breaking every command Lucius gave him. Judging by the starved and crazy look he had in his eyes, he seemed but moments away to succumbing to his thirst.

And I was an easy target, worn out from struggling against my chains and trapped against the wall behind me. The Drained, a young male with blackish brown hair, smirked wickedly before eying my chains with a taunting look, checking if I was still tightly secured against the walls.

“Master doesn’t want us to feed; he says we don’t deserve to, since we let his little pet escape from him. But we brought you guys here, didn’t we? Yes we did…” he chortled in that sickening, gurgling way whilst taking a step closer.

I bared my teeth and growled warningly, “Don’t come any closer, you despicable thing! I’ll rip your guts out!” He simply laughed at that, throwing his head in his neck and filled the room with that gurgling noise, making the hairs on my body stand up in fright.

“What are you going to do? Master isn’t here, he doesn’t even know I slipped away and by the time he does, you’re just a dried-out corpse.” With that said, he lunged forwards, opening his mouth and baring his fangs at me.

A snarl exploded from my chest and I managed to kick him back but he was on me in an instant, jaws snapping and fingers curved into claws, grabbing at my hands to keep me tightly secured. I cried out when the bones in my wrists snapped one by one under the extreme pressure and then everything changed in the blink of an eye.

The Drained lifted his head to strike down, those fangs glinting dangerously as they showed off their razor sharp edges before the wall where the door was exploded, sending pieces of debris flying into the room.

Luckily the Drained acted like a shield for me, trying to scramble away as quickly as possible from his position on top of my body. He barely made it off me before a venomous hiss resounded through the room, coming from a shadow standing just outside the hall.

My eyes widened and I cried out, throwing myself to the floor purely on instinct as the shadow darted towards the Drained, its piercing shrieks of pain bouncing off the walls and doubled in force when whatever attacked him roared ferociously.