Chapter 52 {Z}

~ ☾~

ZACH

I didn't move as Jonah's mom, who had just told me to call her Carrie from now on, stuck the second needle into my arm.

She placed my arm onto the armrest of the chair and used a band-Aid to keep the infusion in place. When she was finished, she opened the tap, starting the transfusion.

Within seconds, I watched the scarlet blood flow from my arm and fill up the narrow tube at a steady pace. Following the red stream, my eyes found the spot where it was attached to Riley's inner elbow.

My eyes landed on her left arm, where another tube was sticking out of. Pitch black blood started seeping through the plastic vein and I watched it itch closer to my arm.

Looking up, I found Riley already looking at me. As my eyes met hers she quickly turned her gaze away, like she had done every time since I entered the room.

I swallowed, once again getting the feeling that these two tubes were the only connection still standing between me and her.

"How long is this going to take?" She asked.

Carrie let go of my arm and checked on her. "A few hours," she said, using a wet cloth to dab the sweat off Riley's forehead. "Try to get some rest in the meantime, sweetheart."

A weak smile formed on Riley's face. "Thank you, Carrie." The genuineness in her voice showed how grateful she was, and not just for the small gesture and kind words, but for everything else too.

"If you start to feel unwell, like lightheaded, dizzy, or anything," Carrie said, sounding more like a mother than a regular nurse, "press that button and I'll come check on you, okay?"

Straightening her back, she looked at me. "Same goes for you, alright?" As I nodded, she gently placed her hand on my shoulder. "And try to relax."

I hadn't realised until now that my hands had been tightly clenched into fists, every muscle tense, and I immediately forced myself to loosen up.

She shot the both of us a kind smile. "I'll be back in a little while, then I'll let you know how Daniel's doing."

The sound of the door closing echoed on inside my head like it knew no end. It was almost like my mind clung onto the sound because it couldn't bear the painful silence that followed.

There were a lot of things I wanted to say — needed to say — but I had no idea where to start. Every sentence I came up with got stuck inside my throat, the words vanishing from my vocabulary before I could say them, so I remained quiet.

I heard her inhale deeply. "How long have you been here?"

For the first time, she didn't look away when I looked up to meet her gaze. "Same as you."

If she had been prepared to give a response, she seemed to have forgotten it.

She swallowed, somewhat taken back, and rested her cheek against the pillow as she turned further onto her side — facing me, thank God, not away from me.

"Thank you," she said softly, casting her eyes down to the tubes attached to our arms. "For um, for bringing us here."

My mouth curved into a tight-lipped smile. The kind of smile that forms on your face when you're sad and someone attempts to cheer you up. "Of course."