Chapter 42 {Z & R}

As soon as I followed after Jack and set foot inside their basement, Jonah, Corbyn and Lexa grew quiet.

I didn't need to be a werewolf to sense the tension that started to build up in the room once they laid eyes on me.

Lexa, who was sitting on a mattress against the wall, scanned me up and down from her lower angle. Her eyes blue like the ocean, instead of glowing like the last time I had seen her.

I clenched my jaw, the faint stinging of my wrists reminding me of what she had done, and what she was capable of.

"What is he doing here?" She asked Jack, her tone giving away she didn't consider me as trustworthy in the slightest. At least that made two of us.

Corbyn shook his head. "He shouldn't be here," he said, probably remembering very vividly how I had pointed multiple guns at his girlfriend's head the last time.

"He said he wants to help," Jack stated, making him the third person who talked about me as if I wasn't there.

Lexa pushed herself back onto her feet. "What, and you just believed that? Jack, are you crazy?"

The curly haired guy shrugged, showing them the gun he carried in his hand. "He gave me his gun, that has to mean something, right?"

I saw Lexa roll her eyes. "Yeah, because a murderer without a weapon suddenly becomes a My Little Pony." Sarcasm dripped off her voice.

I gritted my teeth together at her words. "You're one to talk," I muttered under my breath, the image of Eben's ripped apart body clouding my mind.

Her head snapped towards me, eyebrows raised. "What was that?" She questioned sharply.

"You heard me," I said back, making her take a threatening step towards me.

A werewolf with anger issues. That's just great.

Corbyn stopped her, mumbling something like "he's not worth it," but it didn't keep Lexa from staring down on me.

I had definitely hit a nerve.

"You can call me a murderer all you want, I know I deserve that," I said, meeting her harsh gaze. "But don't think you're any better than me."

She swallowed. "I might have killed one person, by accident," she told me, then she lifted her chin up at me. "How many innocent lives have you taken, on purpose?"

I bit my inner cheek. Too many, I thought, as I turned my gaze down to the ground.

"Like I said," Corbyn spoke up, "he shouldn't be here."

I noticed Jonah was the only one who hadn't said anything yet, so I looked up to meet his observing gaze. Remembering how his eyes had glowed blood red the night of the full moon, I realised he was their Alpha. He was their leader.

"Corbyn, you said it yourself," Jonah breathed out eventually. "All we know is that Daniel and Riley are not in Beacon Hills anymore. That means they could be anywhere right now, and we have no clue how to find them," he uncrossed his arms from his chest and let his eyes scan over his friends. "Like it or not, we can use all the help we can get."

Lexa and Corbyn didn't seem very happy about it, but they remained silent and kept their objections to themselves.

Jonah turned to me, but the uneasy feeling in my stomach — brought by the presence of werewolves — warned me to keep my distance.