Chapter 8 {R}

It was a guy, who seemed to be our age. He was lying on his stomach, three arrows sticking out of his back.

The sharp scent of wolfsbane entered my nose, and I realised the arrows were soaked with the werewolf poison.

His head was facing us, a trail of black blood leaving the corner of his mouth. His eyes were open.

Even though they had lost their glistening and there was no sign of life inside them anymore, I could clearly see the fear he had felt right before he died.

"I know him," Jonah managed to bring out. "H-his name's Brett." He swallowed harshly. "He's from Devenford Prep. He- uh, was here for the lacrosse games."

It took me a lot of effort to tear my eyes away from the brutally murdered teenager. "And was he-, was he a werewolf?"

I saw Jonah nod in the corners of my eyes. "I smelt it when he showed up during practice." He went with his right hand through his hair, tugging at the ends slightly.

I reached my hand out to Jonah's left one, taking it in mine and turning away from the horrible scene, making him do the same.

Jonah didn't say anything as I slipped my phone out of my back pocket, dailing 911 with shaking hands.

"911, what's your emergency?" A deep man's voice asked on the other side of the line as I stared at the trees in front of me.

"I want to report a dead body."

~ ☾~

Everything that followed next happened in a blur. The police showed up at the location exactly ten minutes later.

As Sheriff Stilinski asked us questions about how we had found the body, and if we had seen or heard anything suspicious, the deputies took pictures of the crime scene while searching for clues.

They were kind enough to drop us off at Jonah's house, but Jonah, who kept pacing around with clenched fists while anger started taking over him, didn't stay at his place for long.

I chased after him as he hopped into his car. "Where are you going?"

He started the engine, a firm expression on his face. "To the Argents."

"Then I'm going with you," I told him, stepping into the car and putting on my seatbelt.

He glanced at me for a second, mouth opening to protest. But he knew I wasn't going to change my mind and started driving without saying anything else.

He stopped the car right in front of the hunter family's house, not bothering to park the vehicle properly before jumping out of it and pounding on their door.

I swallowed, waiting for them to open the front door.

We heard stumbling inside. Seconds later a middle aged man appeared, who I knew as Chris Argent. His ice blue eyes scanned over us, confused about why we had showed up at his house.

The last time we had talked to him, we had come to an agreement, saying no more blood needed to be spilled and we could live next to each other in peace. It had taken us a lot of willpower to convince them that we were innocent, and it wasn't our intentions to hurt anyone, and when they finally believed it they said they would stop hunting us.

If only they would've kept their promise.

"Can I help you?" He asked, gaze strongly following every little move we made. He may had been convinced that we weren't monsters, but that didn't mean he trusted us.