Request • Ralph

Requested by fanofaot2 hope you like it x

Since I ran away from the dump I used to call home, I found myself living with an android by the name of Ralph. Although a little scary at first, he showed me he was one of the most caring and sweet people that could ever exist. We realised our feelings for each other in no time at all and stayed together since. However, I had to tell him about my daughter, Charlotte. She was being taken care of by my sister while I sorted my life out - which I had because now I had a job working for a large company.

I find him in the garden, which I know is his favourite place to be. Ralph said the garden was only his favourite place whenever I was there with him. Hopefully, I didn't ruin that for him with my revelation.

"Hi Y/N. You look lovely, as usual." Ralph smiles at me. I especially love how the blue flowers accentuate his eyes and it makes him look even happier. Then my heart sinks when I realise what this conversation could unfortunately result in.

"Hi. Thanks but you look way better. As usual," I laugh. Ralph grabs me into a soft hug and I grow even more nervous to tell him.

"What brings you here?" He asks.

"Um... I kinda have to tell you something. I really should've told you this as soon as I met you, really. And I hope you don't hate me for not telling you soon enough." I blurt out, not paying attention to what I'm saying.

"What's wrong? I'm sure it's fine." Ralph replies, holding my face.

"It's not fine at all. I may as well stop beating around the bush. Basically, I have a daughter," I notice confusion in Ralph's eyes, as his smile turns into a blank expression, which is totally normal. "I left her with my sister when I ran away, so I could look for a better life, which I did. Once I'd found a good life, I would take her back. I'm so so sorry for not telling you sooner. I understand if you don't want to be with me anymore..."

There is an awkward moment of silence while Ralph tries to figure out how to react. His mind is probably scrambling for a rational response.

"What's her name?" Ralph asks.

"Charlotte." I reply quietly. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but there is a small hint of a smile on Ralph's face.

"Pretty name. How old is she?" Ralph asks. I'm almost in agony as he isn't giving me much indication as to whether he's angry or not. I don't allow myself to hope for the latter and I remain composed.

"Four. Just turned four three months ago." I answer.

"Wow." Ralph says. There isn't much tone in his voice, so I can't tell if that was a happy 'wow' or a negative 'wow'.

"So what do you think? Surely you must be annoyed that I didn't tell you for so long. Again, I'm really sorry for not telling you sooner. I feel even more bad because now I've just imposed her on you and you're bound to feel uncomfortable if I bring her here, right? If you're not happy about this, I completely understand." I speak too quickly and my speech must've been incomprehensible. Then, I feel Ralph hold me more closer to him.

"Y/N, you're jumping to conclusions. Of course I'm not annoyed. She's your daughter and I understand that you didn't want to tell me so soon. You were fending for a better life for both you and her and I couldn't be prouder. Charlotte is lucky to have a mother like you. A mother who loved her enough to place her in the care of someone else while she sorted her own life out. It shows that your daughter's wellbeing is your first priority. As for me, I'm not uncomfortable or unhappy about this at all. In fact, I look forward to meeting her already. If you let me, that is." Ralph replies.

"Wait. You mean all of that?" I ask, not sure whether I dreamt what he said.

"Of course. And it may be too soon to say so, but I would love her as much as I love you. Like as if I was her father. Which I know I could never be, but I can still try." Ralph replies.

"I love you. You can meet her today, if you'd like? Maybe it's too soon. I don't know." I say.

"I'd love to." Ralph answers. Immediately, I phone my sister who agrees to hand Charlotte over to me now. She warns me about Charlotte meeting Ralph so soon and I'm optimistic that everything will go well, so I tell her not to worry.

Nervous, I drive to my sister's house with Ralph. After we're both let in, I notice Charlotte sitting by the window. As soon as she sees me, she runs over.

"Mommy!" Charlotte giggles, almost falling over as she runs. I hold my hands open and hug her tightly. Ralph smiles shyly at us both and Charlotte notices him standing there. Unexpectedly, she holds her hands open to Ralph and smiles at him.

"Up, up!" She says. Ralph picks her up and twirls her around. Already, I can feel the nervousness ebbing away. The way he so readily accepted her warms my heart and I can tell Charlotte already liked him.

"She's so cute. Just like her mother." Ralph says, laughing. He holds Charlotte and gestures for me to come to his arms as well, for a group hug.

"What's your name?" Charlotte asks Ralph.

"My name is Ralph. It's nice to finally meet you, Charlotte." Ralph says. They both smile at each other and I know Ralph has already won Charlotte's approval.

"Are you my friend, Ralph?" Charlotte asks him.

"If you want me to be your friend, I will be. So yes, I am your friend." Ralph chuckles.

"Mommy, Ralph is my friend!" Charlotte exclaims happily and I kiss her forehead. It has been too long since I last saw her and I missed having her around.

We spend ages together, just the three of us. I notice how well Ralph takes care of Charlotte, from feeding her and changing her to simply making her laugh. Already, I can tell Ralph would be a worthy father.