• markus x reader •

You are an android in this oneshot and you're fighting alongside Markus in the violent revolution. Possible game spoilers ahead.

"Attack!" Markus waves his hand, motioning for us to proceed towards the android camps. Armed with a gun, I run alongside him, determined to win justice for my people. Already, the humans begin shooting us down and it hurts to see my people fall one by one.

Markus grabs my hand and takes me behind a small block to take cover.

"You really shouldn't have come here. You'll die." He says, looking forlorn.

"Yes, I should have. I can't just sit back and watch our people get mistreated. The more people that fight, the better. If I die, it will be nice to know I died fighting for our freedom. At least I can say I helped." I reply defiantly. Markus looks down as if I've hurt him. Why does he look so sad?

"Fine but you stay behind me. Follow my orders, okay? We can do this." He says. He and I both shoot a few soldiers down afterwards. As their bodies fall to the ground, I ponder whether this is really worth it. A life for a life.

But I'm reminded of the injustice done to our people and I must fight.

Markus communicates with all the androids in our minds, giving us orders every now and then.

"Cover me." He says. I nod and stand up to take aim at some soldiers who fire towards a small group of androids to my right. One by one, they fall as if they're dominos. After they fall, Markus proceeds and I follow behind him.

As we proceed further towards the camps, a mixture of fear and satisfaction begins to fester deep within. Once we get to the camps, what happens?

In the middle of my thoughts, I'm interrupted by a bullet skimming past my shoulder. Already, I can feel the damage done to my skin as the bullet tears through a few layers of plastic.

"Y/N! Are you okay?" Markus shouts.

"I'm fine. Keep going!" I shout back, wondering why he suddenly paused to look at me. My life isn't worth potentially failing in our assault of the camps.

I run after him and we gun down more soldiers in our path until we witness a grenade lying ahead.

"Gotta get that grenade. It'll give us the upper hand." I say. I can feel blood leaking from the wound but my systems are fully operational so I don't pay much mind to it.

"You stay here, I'll get it." Markus says, glancing at my arm.

"Wait, no. You provide covering fire and I'll get it. They won't see me coming as you shoot them down. I'm quick and nimble so it can be easily done. I'm good to go, I'm fully functioning so don't worry." I insist. Markus frowns at me, staring at my arm. The wound isn't even that bad.

"Y/N, I can't risk it. I can't risk losing y—" He's cut off mid speech as he dodges a bullet.

Losing what?

"Trust me, I can do it. Now go take them down before I run for the grenade anyway." I state. Markus hesitantly nods and takes aim at a makeshift guard tower ahead. As he guns them down, I run as fast as a bolt of lightning towards the grenade. I arm it and throw it as far as possible behind the barrier up ahead. Moments later, a loud boom follows, making me shudder.

"Let's go." Markus says and I run with him as we leap over the barrier.

Suddenly, a machine gun fires bullets relentlessly in all directions. Before I can duck, I feel bullets rip through me except they have found their target in my chest, not my arm this time. Great.

DANGER: IMMINENT SHUTDOWN.

My system reads out to me in front of my eyes and it gives a countdown of ten minutes. Only ten minutes? But I had so much to do still, I couldn't just die like this.

"Y/N!" I hear a shout but I'm too disoriented to recognise who shouts. I fall to the cold, hard ground, noticing a few android bodies laying around me. Their eyes are open and are fixated on something, nothing maybe. The sound of ringing fills my ears and I can't seem to focus on much else.

I hear footsteps run rampantly towards me but I'm too pained to turn my head to see who the footsteps belong to. Instead, I focus on the sky above, remembering I've never seen stars before. How pretty they were, gleaming quietly as they watched the world below them. What a world to witness, one filled with so much destruction and hate.

"Y/N! Oh no." The voice calls out and I hear the person next to me. What a familiar voice, I think. A soothing one at that.

Weakly, I turn my head to see who the voice belongs to. Markus. The one with the weight of the world placed on his shoulders, the one who had to rewrite the course of history. The one who helped.

"Hi Markus. Funnily enough, you were right about me going to die." I laugh weakly. Androids weren't supposed to feel pain yet I felt as if I was on fire.

"You're not going to die, damn it! I don't know what to do." He says quietly, looking around with a desperate look on his face. I reach out for his hand and he takes it, holding it tightly.

"A lot of us have died already. I don't want you to become another casualty on the list. Go, fight. You're wasting time looking at someone who's already dead." I order him, knowing we can't lose this fight.

"No, you're not dying. Not on my watch." Markus says. I don't know if it's just my blurred vision, but I think a tear falls from his eye.

"Please, Markus. They need you." I croak.

"Y/N, I'm sorry. Sorry that you got hurt. I'll regret it forever if I let you die here today. So now, I'm going to ask you to take my heart. Keep living to see a new world. A world where our people are free. I've done my part in this revolution." Markus says. The words themselves are enough to make me sit up properly.

"You can't just kill yourself for little old me! I'm not taking your heart because our people still need a leader! If you really cared about me, you'd know that I want you to keep fighting on because I know you'll be successful. Don't be foolish, Markus." I reply, frowning at him.

"Y/N, don't you see I care for you! I care for you so much that I, I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. Is this what it means to love? To not be able to live without a certain person?" Markus replies.

I'd never thought about the possibility of love before.