Play Date

It was cold

It was cold. I heard the rubble underneath my feet as my mom dragged me with her to wherever. I never seen my mom like this and it scared me in the worst way.

"Mom," I called out to her but she only looked back at me before continuing on.

"Mom," I said again and she didn't answer me again. Tears started to gather in my eyes even though they wouldn't fall.

I could tell she wasn't herself. She hasn't slept in days, she's barely eaten, and her hair was wild. I don't know who this woman was but she wasn't my mother.

As we entered a dark alleyway, my mom searched around I guess trying to find something. I figured she did when she knocked on a door three times that was once covered by a giant trash can.

A tall light skin man with a beard who seemed to be at least 6'1 came out the door and stood in front of me and my mom. His face expression was of stone and his stature was still like he was prepared for anything. Silence held for a short while before he started to speak.

"What do you want?," he looked intensely between me and my mom. I could still feel tears in my eyes but I be damn if I let them fall.

"I came to exchange my son," I looked at her with shock in my face and the tears that I was trying to hold stream down my face," He can do your type of work or something. I need my stuff and he can supply that for me."

"I don't do handouts, if your boy gonna to work, he still gotta pay his dues. I don't do shit for free."

"I understand."

"Little nigga starts tonight,"He went back in the door he came out of and came back with a baggie of a white substance and then tossed it to my mom," take this shit and bounce cause you fucking disgust me, your boy will be back when I send him."

My mom just looked at me before leaving like I ain't mean shit and the dude just looked at me. His eyes softened as he came closer to me and I step back.

"Look I ain't going to do shit to you because I don't believe in that type of shit."

"Then why give her a bag for of that shit just for me?," I asked and he just laughed.

"It's a bag full of sugar, I ain't passing out no real cocaine like candy the fuck you think this is? Look I'm teaching that woman a lesson and you as well."

"How are you teaching me?"

"I'm showing you that not everybody is going to be here for you and sometimes people will do anything to get what they want. Your egg donor because I'll be damn if I called her a mother just tried to sell you for coke. Little nigga, I need you to be smart and guard your heart and your mind at all cost. Now come on, you got work to do."