Love is Lawless Part 2

Start from the beginning

Another firework cracked in the air.

"I love you." Tori said.

"Huh?"

"You probably already know that," Tori continued, as did the fireworks, "but I wanted to tell you myself."

It took more than a few heartbeats for Chiaki to understand what he had just said. 'I love you...You probably already...What is he talking about?'

"Sorry," he said dumbfound, "but can you repeat that? What did you just say?"

He paused then asked, "But aren't you in love with Yuu?"

"Poor Tori. He literally just told you. How dense can you get?" Usagi shook his head, finding this situation very relatable.

Tori just stared at him.

'He loved Yuu andYuu loves him,' Chiaki's thoughts kept running, 'but they can't just admit it. So even though they started going out, it hasn't been going too smothly.'

"Don't just invent your own love story about us!" Tori and Yuu yelled at the same time, sneering at each other for having said it in unison.

'That's why Tori came to me and...'

"Why do I have to be in love with him, of all people?" There was a slight sneer to Tori's words.

This caught Chiaki off guard. "Am I wrong?"

"What about me or him gave you such a disgusting idea?" Tori looked truly queasy at the thought alone.

Chiaki began to blush. 'Then...then Tori really is in love with me...'

More fireworks burst to life above them.

"I got into this business because I wanted to be close to you." They were both now laying down on the grass. Tori resting his hands behind his neck, Chiaki crossing his arms around his middle, hugging himself tightly.

"I was happy when I became your editor."

"I never even noticed." Chiaki said, in a daze with this new discovery.

"I made sure you wouldn't." This made Chiaki turn to look at Hatori. "I mean, what would you think if you found out how I truly felt about you? Someone you only thought of as a friend. You'd think it was disgusting, that I've been in love with you for twenty-eight years."

"Of course I wouldn't!" Chiaki sat up, slightly outraged that he'd think that. Then he realized what he had just said.

'Wait a minute. I really don't find it disgusting at all.'

"I love you, too, Tori."

BANG. BANG. More fireworks.

"Yeah." Tori seemed sad and dismissive at once. "As a childhood friend." Chiaki looked away, thinking.

"You don't have to pretend. I know how you feel."

'Maybe I've been spoiled by everything you do for me, but...' "But I don't want you to leave!" Chiaki shouted, a shadow hiding his expression.

Tori finally looked at him and sat up as well. "You'd be fine with someone else." He placed his hand on top of the other's head as if he were a child. "You just think that because I happen to be right here."

'Happen to be? Who could replace Tori?'

Hatori dropped his hand. "Don't worry. We only have competent editors in our department." He stood up to leave.