Love is Lawless Part 2

Start from the beginning

'They should be together, if that's what they want. Why do they have to get me involved?' He rubbed his face into his pillow to wipe away his tears.

'Too bad it's not me Tori's interested in.'

He suddenly realized what he just said and blushed even harder. "What am I saying?!" He rolled around in his bed, embarrassed he had even thought that.

"It's not like that at all! But what I mean is..." His outburst was interrupted by the sound of his phone vibrating. He reached over and checked who it was.

It was a text message: How are you feeling? If you're feeling bad, let me know, and I'll have you checked out by a doctor I know. You really saved me by making it to the end this time. And the firework festival you wanted to use as inspiration for the next time is this weekend. Do you want to go if you feel better?

'The firework festival...'

The scene changed to the weekend. Chiaki was walking up the stairs and going through the entrance of a shrine, but stopped mid step when he spotted Tori from a distance, wearing a black collar shirt and kaki pants.

"Hey!" Chiaki said, blushing a little when he realized his voice cracked a little. 'Ughh, my voice just cracked...'

"Let's go. Someone gave me a tip for a good spot." Hatori told his childhood friend as soon as he reached him, seemingly oblivious to Chiaki's inner turmoil.

"O-okay." They both began to walk further into the area, and ended up under a bridge.

"Ohh I see where this is going." Wink wink.

"Yeah good job Hatori! So sneaky." Kisa agreed with his lover.

'What should I talk about?' Chiaki wondered, uncomfortable around his childhood friend for the first time. 'This is so awkward.' He was walking behind him, and stared at Tor's back as they went by a river.

'But he is my editor, and Yuu's always coming in and out of my place. I guess that's why he wants to make up with me.'

Tori suddenly stopped. It was now dark out, the stars beginning to shine through. "This is a great spot for watching the fireworks."

Chiaki looked around nervously. "I-it is? Then let's sit down." He began to lower onto the grass area around them.

"Your editor will change." Tori's words made Chiaki freeze.

"What?" He straightened out and faced him. "You mean it won't be you anymore?"

"It was my fault the manuscript was late this last time." A shadow covered his eyes, his expression unreadable. "I've lost your, the author's trust, and I took the next logical step."

Chiaki began to talk "But—"

Tori cut him off. "There are many excellent editors in our department, so if you have someone in mind, I could..."

"Now just a minute!" Chiaki exclaimed, his cheeks flushed with both anger and annoyance. "What's this, all of a sudden?!" Tori's response was to just stare at him, his expression serious.

At seeing that he was serious, Chiaki gasped and took a step back.

"Oooo rejected!"

"It's not funny. I was really shocked and confused."

In the distance, the night sky lit up and the sound of fireworks began to echo in the air, one after another. The water reflected the million little sparks of colorful light. Despite the beautiful scene before them, both brunettes were staring at one another, neither one breaking eye contact.