The Time His Heart Began to Beat

"I wouldn't believe such a thing."

"I'm telling you the truth," Myōga sighed as he and Inuyasha took a breather by a stream. Both lacked rest and hungry as they were no longer following the scent of the group. The two sat amongst the stones by the stream, their eyes stared at the water washing by, and their mouths open to catch up on their breaths. There weren't any other yōkais chasing them, nor were there signs of anyone wanting to bother them. They've wandered for a few days already, and without anything to guide them back to Kagome, Inuyasha had become irritated.

"What are you doing here?"

The two flung their heads over their shoulders and saw the kappa servant, the dragon and the human girl. They all stared at each other and stayed cautious as the flea whispered, "If they're here, that would mean that your brother is somewhere around here too."

"I don't think it'd be a good idea for you to go and disrupt Lord Sesshōmaru," Jaken cleared his throat as the human girl nodded and wandered over to the water with her bucket, she let the water flow in and fill it up.

"I don't need this right now!" Inuyasha grunted and pushed himself to his feet, dusting his clothes and took one stomp in the opposite direction, only to freeze with a frown. His teeth clenched as he met eye to eye with a familiar face. "Are you following me or what?" He hissed.

The flea hid behind the hanyō's neck, clutching at the collar as he whispered, "Let's not pick a fight. He doesn't seem to be in the mood."

"He's never in the mood."

Sesshōmaru blinked and stared at them blankly. He had held something in his only hand, clutching at it tightly. His companions rushed to his side, Rin held up the bucket of water and asked if it was enough, to which the daiyōkai blinked in response and lifted the object from his hold. It was a hair ornament, a Hana Kanzashi with a trailing of soft pink cherry blossom mixed with butterflies and bonbori lanterns. A familiar sight for Myōga, who gasped and leaped upwards to the top of Inuyasha's head to get a clearer view. He watched as the daiyōkai rinsed the dirt that covered over the ornament in the bucket.

"You dug through Lady Mio's grave?" He couldn't help but ask, a whimper at the end. "What are you going to do with it, Lord Sesshōmaru?" He pressed on.

The human girl rushed to the side and tipped the bucket of water, the kappa gulped and the dragon watched in a distance as the daiyōkai walked closer to the two, his grip on the hair ornament tightened as he let his arm dangle beside him. "It is not in your place to know," Sesshōmaru grumbled and brushed passed Inuyasha, purposely bumping shoulders as he walked away without another word. His companions followed, their heads lowered at the truth of what their Master had done, but they didn't say anything.

"What's his problem?" The hanyō asked with an aggressive tone. Myōga lowered his head in shame at what he had seen, his little hands clenched to a fist as he replied, "Her."

-

Lord Tadakatsu was the oldest out all the war lords in the Western Lands, he had four children, all daughters except one son, who moved from the village to live with his human wife and protect the village. However, during the journey to Tadakatsu's village, news spread that he passed away from a heart failure in his old age. His son, the heir to the village was due to arrive at the same time, but as the village awaited for his arrival, Tadakatsu's eldest daughter, Tomoe, had taken over as the temporary leader.

Everyone knew Tomoe's history and supposed marriage arrangement with Heihachirō, and for Sesshōmaru, it was a nuisance in their task. Mio was glared at, despised and hissed at as they entered the village in mourning. The people were angered at her sight, some whispered bad things and insulted her behind her back. The daiyōkai alongside her had felt defensive, his own reflex was to hold her close and keep her out of the sight from others. Mio clung onto him with her head buried within his clothing, her fingers curled to hold onto his arm as she felt watched like a prey.