Chapter 14: Texas

LOCATION: Houston, Texas

TIME: 8:30pm

FACT: The most popular city in Texas

AKA: Targets location

I threw my bag over my shoulder and stepped off the plane onto Texas soil. The population of this place is huge, but thankfully my angelic senses can pick up the targeted person in need of "guarding". I just needed to pretend to be someone else.

I probably wouldn't be able to keep up the charade for long, especially from Peter, seeing as he's a know it all, and probably already knows I'm coming. Flippin vampire. Can't do nothing without one of them knowing.

I kept my pace neutral as I walked from the airport and onto the side walk. Glancing around, this could be vampire heaven. Millions of people hurried around, bumping and yelling as they scurried to get to one place or another. Horns honked, and traffic was slow. It reminded me of New York. And that mission, hadn't been a good one.

Turning left, I head down the side walk becoming invisible to the humans. Helping me move quicker without pushing. No one notices.

About thirty minutes later, I make it to a bar. Not too big, but not too small. I step into a dark corner, making myself visible before stalking into the bar with my head low. I spread out my senses and make my way through the building to the actual bar place. Taking a seat, I glance around.

"Can I get ya something hun?" A woman's voice breaks me from my revere and I turn to face her. She was a Rogue angel. The academy wasn't big on these kinds of angels, but they let them go.

Rogues are usually the ones who are kicked from the academy or quit, wanting to live with the humans and have a normal life. Well, as normal as it gets when you can't die. Unless you kill yourself with vampire venom, but hey.

"Jack Daniels."

She nods and turns to the side, bringing up my order. The good thing about us angels, it takes a lot, and I mean a lot, to get us drunk.

"Here ya go, anything else?" She gives me a pointed look.

I swallow. "Yes. Any Bloody Mary's around? Particularly four, three males and one female. Two males and female blonde, third male, black hair dyed red at the tips," I tell her.

She narrows her eyes for a minute before nodding. She shoves her thumb to the left.

"All the way in the back, dark corner. Good luck."

Finishing my drink, I nod and give her thanks before heading in the direction she was pointing. Doesn't hurt to ask, makes my job easier. There's a lot of vampires here.

I wrinkle my nose and push my way through the crowd when I spot them. Just sitting there at the lone table, hidden partly by the shadows. Throwing myself to the side, I take a seat a table away.

I lift my feet up and set my boots on the table. Pulling down at my cowboy hat, I have it were it covers a bit of my face, and shadows the rest. I try to look neutral by looking around at everyone and leaving my empty glass on the table while I cross my arms.

I happen to catch Peter's eye as I'm looking and he throws me a quick wink before answering something Devin said. I narrow my eyes but pull my gaze from him to the others. The pictures match perfectly. I keep my gaze on Jasper as I study him with a light frown. Obviously HQ hasn't updated his picture because he doesn't look like I remember, but then he does.

He looks harder, if you get what I mean. Not the shy, quiet Jasper that I remember. But then again, I've changed too. And we all change at some point, guess it just took him a little longer.