12

"Wanna talk about it?" Itachi asked breaking the silence. I continued to look out the car window and simply shook my head.

"Boy problema with my supposed to be ex husband? A little weird. I'll pass."

He scoffed and shook his head "you know we use to be best friends."

"Itachi!" I groaned as I covered my face with my hands. Frustrated with both him and this entire situation "can we not make this about us... please ?"

"I'm just trying to be here for you."

"Can you be here for me in silence?" I snapped.

"I lost my wife.. I didn't want to lose my best friend too." I could hear the pain in his voice as he said spoke. Maybe I'm just being a bitch. Or maybe I don't wanna have the "this guy I liked turned out to be both the law and a senju" with my cheating husband. But he was right. He was my bestfriend.. and that's something I don't have outside of him.

I guess I'm a bigger loser than I thought

"I'm sorry" I said in defeat. "I just don't know what to make of all of this."

"I know" he gripped the wheel tightly "I hated seeing you with him but I hate him even more now for breaking your heart.. it's my fault though. Had I not fucked up.. you would've never been in a situation like this."

I sighed at the undeniable truth.. "I'm really sorry y/n.." his voice was so sincere I held back the tears. I missed having my best friend. I missed having my husband. But I can only trust him as one of those things.

"Best friends?" I asked holding out my hand for him to shake.

He held my hand and placed it to his lips and softly kissed it. "For now." He was implying that he'd win me back. As much as I wanted it ... I found it hard to believe that we'd work.

"Hold on" I groaned "Madara is calling me."

"Put him on speaker"

"Madara . Your on speaker. What's up?"

"Where are you two?" He asked.

"On our way home why "

"Go to the pier now! I'm on my way."

"What's wrong?" Itachi said quickly as he busted a u turn in the middle of the busy street

"Our shipment transporter called. There's people at the dock waiting for them to hit shore.."

"Ok? We pick up the shipments .. that's how it works.." I said

"No we pick it up the day after.. they drop off the legal containers first to their clients and we get ours the next day before they set sail again."

"The guys at the dock isn't our men.." Itachi mumbled.

"Correct. How long till you get there?"

"10 minutes.."

"Ill be there in 15 can you hold them off until I get there?"

"We got it" I responded. "Do we know if they're senju?"

"Not until we get there."

"We're on our way. We'll hold off."
After hanging up I looked at Itachi

"We never grabbed our  weapons." I said

"It's in the trunk. I don't leave without it. You know that." He winked. "Your a great fighter but you always forget that.."

"I don't know weather to thank you for the compliment or punch you for calling me out."

"Thank me."

"Maybe I should do both"

He laughed and for a second it felt as if time froze. How could I still be so comfortable with you? How could I still place my life in your hands and know with certainty that you'd do anything to keep me alive. Could I still be in love with you? Or is this us just being bestfriends again...

Itachi parked the car a block away and popped the trunk. He pulled out a doubled edge sword and tossed it at me "what's this?" I asked.

"Present. Saw how good you were with the wooden staff when you and Madara were training the other day. Thought this would fit your fighting style better."

"It's so large though . I can't carry this on me at all times."

"Look." He walked over pressing a button and it shrunk into my palm. "It's like that staff you have except .. it's not a toy.. same button to bring it back out."

"How did you get this?"

"I had it custom made.. thank me later. We have business to handle. "

"Right."

Sneaking onto the dock I stepped out of hiding behind the group of men waiting for the boat that dropped its anchor a few feet away in the ocean. "Can I help you boys?" I asked sweetly

The group of men turned around and laughed at the image of a pretty girl standing before them. "It's not safe out here for pretty girls like yourself." What I presumed to be the leader replied. "It's dangerous out here at this time"

"Dangerous? I'm not really worried about that.. what are guys doing here? That's not your shipment."

The man laughed. "It is now.. now run along before you get hurt. This isn't your business"

I pulled out the sword and pressed the button, swinging the double edged sword between my finger I smiled back at the man... "that's my shipment.. therefor my business. I highly suggest you tell
Me who your working for and run along before you guys up dead.. it's not safe out here for you." I teased.

"Careful you don't know who your messing with" he yelled.

"Never underestimate the enemy" I sighed "you lost already and here I thought you'd give me a good work out."

"Stop playing with your food." Itachi complained as he quietly cut down the men behind the loudmouth.

"You were too focused on me you didn't even notice your men being slaughtered.." I laughed. "Who hired you."

"You can cooperate or we can tie you up and get information out of you a fingernail at a time." Itachi said. "Your pick."